Shipping Charges on Checkout Page?

Highlighted
Excursionist
41 0 6

I have a shipping rate calculator app added to my store.  The problem with that is it shows the shipping charges in the CART.  When a customer is shopping, most times they go directly to CHECKOUT, without ever going to their cart.  In fact, most shoppers don’t go to their cart because they already know what’s in the cart.  At CHECKOUT,  customers see “calculated at next step” for the shipping charges.  This is the #1 reason that customers abandon their carts.  They DO NOT want to fill out all their credit card, email, and address information before knowing exactly what their shipping charges are going to be. 

Yes, they can go to their cart and see their shipping charges, but we can’t assume they know this and we can’t actually force them to go to their cart before checking out.  In fact, when a customer adds a product to their cart, redirecting to the cart is not even a choice that Shopify gives them.  The two choices are CONTINUE SHOPPING and CHECKOUT.  So, why would a customer ever go to their cart?

Having said all of that, how do I fix this?  I either need to get a shipping calculator on the CHECKOUT page or I need to change the “calculated at next step” text to indicate that the customer can see the shipping rates in the cart as well as the next step.  I use "priced based" shipping in my store, so the customer's address means absolutely nothing to me when calculating their shipping charges.  Those charges are known BEFORE they ever checkout, so why must they fill all that crap in just to see what's already there?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1166 73 244

Hey, @Cary_Silverman!

To clarify the checkout process a bit, your customer won't enter their credit card information until after they've selected a shipping rate, however, they would still need to initiate the checkout to see the final cost. If your desired outcome is to have the customer land on the cart page prior to entering the checkout then your theme should allow you to direct your customers to the cart page. If your theme includes this, then you'll want to look under the theme settings in Online Store/Themes/Customize, or if you're using an older theme, this would typically be under the "cart page" option found within the theme customizer. 

That said, it wouldn't be possible to edit the checkout process to place your shipping calculator so directing your customers to the cart page would be the best approach. Alternatively, you could also try going to Online Store/Themes/Actions/Edit Language and search "calculated at next step" to see if you're able to erase this from the theme. This would effectively remove the messaging from your theme, and clear up any possible confusion your customers may have. 

Let me know what you think! 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
41 0 6

When you use "priced based shipping", the shipping costs are the same no matter what the customer's address is, so the actual shipping charges should show on the checkout page where it says SHIPPING, instead of saying "calculated at next step".  They are ALREADY CALCULATED with "priced based shipping".  The "next step" has absolutely nothing to do with determining the shipping charges.

I was able to change the text to "Shipping Charges Are Shown In Cart and Next Step".  I am surprised you didn't know how to do this.  But again, it should just show the actual shipping charges there.  I don't want to direct customers to the cart page when it shouldn't be necessary to do so.  Shopify seems to have a lot of issues with "priced based shipping" and how it interacts with our stores.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
41 0 6

CRICKETS

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1166 73 244

Hey, @Cary_Silverman

My apologies for the delay. Our team monitors forum posts regularly, but unlike our 24/7 live support, responses from Shopify Staffs in our forums usually take up to 24 business hours. If you need a more immediate response, I do recommend reaching out to our live support channels.

Reviewing your response, I hear what you're saying, however, at this time, the checkout doesn't change the language used based on the type of shipping rates used within Settings/Shipping. Changing the language within your themes language settings would be the best approach to for this specific case. That said, I've already sent up your feedback up to our Products team so they can look into what changes we can do to help better the platform for cases such as this. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello Peter! All the other stores can calculate shipping costs at cart and at product page. I was really chocked when I saw Shopify could not. Why is that? Will that be changed soon? I just arrived here and my customers are already complaining (imagine those who are simply not buying).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1166 73 244

@EditoraWish 

Shipping rates will appear during the checkout process when the customer is completing their order. To have shipping rates appear on the product page or cart page would be determined on the theme you're using. If your theme does not include this feature, then you could hire a Shopify Expert to add this for you, or you could look into using one of the shipping calculator apps found within our app store. Alternatively, you could also post a request in the "Shopify Design" thread with the name of your theme as one of our Community members may be able to assist with getting this added. 

0 Likes
2 0 1

I agree, better integration at the CHECKOUT page is needed. As soon as a customer starts typing their address and completes it on first checkout page, a shipping estimate should populate. The fact that I can pay $6.99 for an App Sore widget that shows it in my cart and then have my customers confused by the NEXT page having "Calculated at nextstep" is a real bummer. Shopify is powerful and we appreciate your platform but we are competing with Amazon over here, this is a crucial disconnect and should be a major feature across every Shopify theme. 

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Has anyone found a viable solution for this? i have downloaded the app which calculates shipping rates in the basket, however as you have mentioned it still displays "calculated at next step" in the first stage of checkout, which in my opinion just looks terrible.

Have any of you had a shopify expert perform an adjustment which allows shipping prices to be shown in the basket?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

I'm looking for a solution to this as well, I'm simply doing price based shipping ie. IF over 200$ in cart, then display, "order over $200, Free shipping" else $25 flat rate shipping. It feels like there would be a simple if statement that I could write to replace "calculated at next step" with something dynamic that reads the cost of items in the cart to determine shipping and bring up that statement  

I don't know what it is yet, but would be stoked if someone knows how to achieve this.

1 Like