Shipping for different box sizes

Hemeystover
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi - I just started my online store and I’ve currently disabled shipping until I can figure out the best way to set this up .  I need help ! So my products fit a certain size box individually  which is a default box but can only fit one wreath. If a customer purchases let’s say two or 3 wreaths currently it charges for just that default box which is incorrectly priced !  The box size would have to change if they add multiple boxes ... is there a way to set this up or should I be charging for each individually? If so how do I set this up? I want to make sure that I don’t get charge extra etc. Thank you 

Replies 2 (2)

PluginHive
Shopify Partner
797 31 100

Hi @Hemeystover,

Shopify only offers one box size to be sent off for live shipping rate calculations, regardless of the size of the actual order. The problem with using Shopify's default box size is that you will be undercharging for some orders, and you will be responsible for paying out of pocket for the additional shipping cost. If you overcharge for shipping, customers might abandon their cart. One of the options is to charge for each product, as you have mentioned. Another option is to charge flat shipping rates, which you can cost out by creating common cart combinations and shipping destinations to identify the average shipping cost. 

If you have multiple package sizes you ship with, you would need a shipping app like our Multi Carrier Shipping Label. With the box packing method in the app, you can set up different packages for your products based on the weight & dimensions. So, whenever your customer places an order, the app automatically chooses the right box and calculates the rates accordingly. 

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping

plateandpattern
Visitor
1 0 3

Hi Hemeystover, 

Did you ever find a good solution for your problem? I am having the same difficulty! Shopify only lets me choose one default box size and sometimes customers are being way overcharged when they only buy one little thing but Shopify is calculating their shipping based on a too-large box. I would love to know how you addressed this problem. Thank you!