Shipping option - Store pickup

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
4 1 1

Hi - new to this forum.

My question is - how can I offer store pickup for items I sell on my Shopify site. I haven't gone live yet, but would like to offer this option to my current (local) customers. It would also save me time. How would I edit my shopping cart to offer this?

Any help appreciated

Pete

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
144 7 22

Hey Pete,

You can add additional shipping options through your Shopify settings > Shipping.  Under the Rates at Checkout section, click the Manage Rates button.

Under your Domestic shipping zone, click the Add Rate button and enter the following settings:

local-pickup.png

Click Done, then Save your shipping profile settings.  You should now see this option appear at checkout!

Regards,

Joel.

Co-Founder / CTO @ Intuitive Shipping
Intuitive Shipping | Automate Shipping Profiles
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
4 1 1
Many thanks Joel...just what I needed!!
0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Partner
144 7 22

Not a problem, glad I could help!

Another tip is to include a shipping information page on your site that explains who qualifies for Local Pickup, and what the protocol is for this.  For example, where items can be picked up, the number of hours/days required to process the order before the item is available for pickup, pickup hours, etc.  The more information you can provide your customers, the better.

When you have a chance, please take a moment to mark the post as resolved as it will help other merchants looking for a similar solution.

Cheers,

Joel.

0 Likes

Success.

Tourist
4 1 1

Thanks Joel...think I'll do just that!

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
4 1 1

Joel - I have one more shipping question -

I just went live, several of my customers choose my "Local pickup" option although were both out of state. One customer got back to me saying that my Local pickup is my default option. How can I change this so the Standard shipping option appears first?

Any help appreciated!

Pete

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
144 7 22

Hey Pete,

Unfortunately, Shopify does not support the ability to reorder your shipping methods.  Their default sort order is Cheapest > Most Expensive, which often causes Free Shipping and Local Pickup to be the default option during checkout.  The only exception to this is if you're on a Shopify Plus plan, in which case you can use Scripts to reorder shipping methods at checkout.

There are two ways around this at the moment:

Use an uppercase shipping method title

Switch the Local Pickup option title to all uppercase "LOCAL PICKUP", which will hopefully catch the attention of a customer during checkout.

Third-party shipping apps

Use a third-party app, such as our app Intuitive Shipping, to apply conditions to local pickup to restrict when this option appears (e.g. within 50 km from the shop, or restrict by zip codes).  You can also add a description to the shipping method to help draw attention to the fact that it is a local pickup option (e.g. Pickup from our local shop at 123 Main St., City.  Pickup hours are M-F, 9am to 5pm EST.)

Regards,

Joel.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 0 2

Hi am working on setting up shipping for my soon-to-launch store and I saw the answer about "local pickup". Related to that, perhaps, is that I would like to offer free delivery for orders in my area code (e.g., my town and a few nearby areas). How would I set that up -- free delivery instead of paid shipping?? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
144 7 22

Hey @Catsmom,

With Shopify, you can restrict free shipping to a particular State/Province, but not by Zip/Postal Code.

If State/Province restrictions are enough for you, you can create a Free Shipping option within Shopify by first creating a shipping zone for your local area, then adding a Price-Based shipping rate with the following settings:

free-shipping.png

Change the Minimum Price to the minimum order total required to activate the free shipping option.  If you have no minimum order total, simply skip adding this condition.

If you need to restrict free shipping to a particular set of Zip/Postal Codes, you would need a third-party app such as our app Intuitive Shipping.  Using Intuitive Shipping, you can create SubZones that allow you to restrict shipping methods based on Zip/Postal Codes, as well as other address values such as City, Address, etc.  You could also limit free shipping to be available only to customers within a certain radius of your store.  You can then create your Free Shipping method that is restricted based on the conditions you've defined so this option only appears to the customers that qualify.

Let me know if you have any questions about either approach to creating free shipping in your shop.

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 0 2

Thank you! I'll check out Intuitive Shipping as you suggest. I feel like I'm drowning in so much to do right now, and of course I procrastinated for months! *SIGH*. Thank you!!!

1 Like