Shipping options for Australia

Highlighted
2 0 1
Hi, have just discovered Shopify, have set up a test account, very impressed so far. We are based in Australia. For shipping I can see there are basic weight and price based options and also UPS. Are there any other options available right now? Surely there is FedEx support? (for shipping internationally from AU) Shipping costs within Australia also vary wildly depending on location. We have some very remote locations! Is there a way I can code a custom shipping module that takes postcode and weight to calculate calculate cost? Or maybe you are planning shipping support for Australia in the core product? I have worked on quite a few shops here and pretty much every major player uses the Australia Post eParcel service as their standard shipping option so that would be the one for the wishlist. Cheers, Tim
1 Like
Highlighted
12 0 0

I've just recently launched my site and have signed up for e-parcel.

At this stage I have no idea how I am going to integrate the pricing structure into Shopify. E-parcel has a base rate for parcels over 500g and then charges per kg thereafter. Problem is there is 32 different destination prices for both base rate and per kg.

As far as I can see at the moment my only option is to set up the costs, charging the highest price per state even of sending parcel within my own area.

Please let me know if you have figured a way to get around this.

Thanks!

http://www.bearfoot.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Ecochick

G'day! How has your site launch gone? I am Australia based and am considering using Shopify...

Cheers
Panacea 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
Hello, I'm interested in finding out how you got on with Shipping methods using Shopify in Australia. I'm looking at using Shopify for my new online store. We are based in Australia, but I notice Shopify has no support for AusPost. ie a dynamic Auspost calculator. How did you get around this? Many thanks for any advice you can offer me. At the moment Shopify is looking like a great option but the lack of shipping for Australia is holding me back. All the best
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Does Shopify support Australian shipping yet? I need to know this week or I will have to move to another Shopping Cart Provider.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Wikipedia has a list of shopping cart providers that have Real Time Shipping Calculation for Australia Post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_shopping_cart_software

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 3

I'm in the same situation and have been comparing Shopify (my preferred option)  and Spiffy Stores (Australian based competitor also run on Ruby on Rails).  The biggest advantage they have, and it is compelling is that they've been able to integrate Australia Post and FedEx as well as offering a wider range of payment gateways.  Given the similarity of the systems it should be possible for Shopify to implement this as well.

The Wikipedia link above is good, but not complete, eg Spiffy Stores not mentioned.

I prefer Shopify, it seems to provide more flexibility for the newbie and have better themes, no transaction fees and more storage, etc - but any issue which impacts on our distribution is a major issue and fundamental to an on-line business.  Given the number of Australian businesses that are going on-line I'm surprised Shopify hasn't addressed this by now.

Question for Shopify staff/expert... What do we need to do in order to this looked at?  Given the above competition which is emerging and the potential market, you may be giving away some of your competitive advantage.

3 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

Shopify is brilliant, except for this lack of Australia Post Zone calculation functionality.  Please Shopify, or an App developer provide a solution ASAP. This is crucial core functionality for Shopify.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

If Shopify integrated support for Australia Posts E-Parcel it would be the perfect solution, without API support for Australia Posts services Shopify falls short as a e-commerce solution for Australian online retailers.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
90 0 3

Hi Folks,

I am interested in developing this as an addon solution to Shopify if enough people will sign up . I have met one other Australian user who is looking for shipping calculator. Since this will be done as a seperate app that needs to be hosted, there would have to be a charge for such an application. What is a reasonable rate for you?

Emall me at richard at webifytechnology dot com if you want to keep it private.

Thanks!

Creator of the metafields editor and Versa Cloud ERP Apps
http://apps.shopify.com/metafields-editor
https://apps.shopify.com/versaccounts-cloud-erp-www8
0 Likes