Shipping weights and package sizes, need options in our Products database for both weight AND package size

Tourist
12 0 2

Shopify needs a software fix to allow selecting different shipping packages and weights in the Product database.
Canada Post calculates shipping cost via 1) weight 2) package size.
My online store offers products that weigh anywhere from 0.2kg to 4kg, for example.
We ship using packages that range from 4" x 4" x 4" to 15" x 15" x 15".
So, we set the default package size to 8" x 8" x 8".
However, we get charged over and above the original charge by Canada Post when we ship the 15" x 15" x 15" parcel since our default package size is 8" x 8" x 8".
The Customer has already checked out and selected the shipping option so if we change the package size after the payment is made, we eat the cost of the extra shipping cost.
Please change the software to allow us to select a package size other than the default package size for each product.
Perhaps 3 options for package size for each product.
Then, when we enter the data for a product, we can select package size 1, 2, or 3 for example.
The Customer would get an accurate shipping quote and we will not be charged extra by Canada Post.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
www.2ground.com

1 Like
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
231 0 18

Hi, George!

Anders from the Social Care Team here.

First off - thank you for providing this constructive feedback here. Our development team is always eager to know what our community of Shop Owners are looking to have in their stores. For the time being, I suggest looking into our Apps Store to find a service which can add this functionality to your store. I suggest looking into Bespoke Shipping.

Take care, now!

Anders3 | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like

Hey George,

If you are on the Advanced Shopify plan or have the Third party carrier service addon with your plan, we have a new app that's currently in alpha testing which can solve your issue.  The alpha is free to use, and all alpha participants will receive 50% off their monthly plan for life upon launch.  We're still working on our pricing structure.

Intuitive Shipping allows you to add dimensions to individual products, which will then be passed to the shipping courier for the shipping calcualtion.  We're currently integrated with Canada Post, FedEx, UPS, USPS & DHL.

If you're interested in trying out Intuitive Shipping you can install it here:

https://www.intuitiveshipping.com/app/

Let me know if you have any questions.

Intuitive Shipping Co-Founder / CTO
1 Like
Tourist
12 0 2

Thanks Joel, I will check it out!

[EDIT]

Whoa, that didn't turn out too good on the install LOL:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'ShopifyApiException' with message 'Unprocessable Entity' in /home/openca8/public_html/intuitiveshipping.com/app/system/library/shopify.php:80 Stack trace: #0 /home/openca8/public_html/intuitiveshipping.com/app/catalog/controller/install.php(325): Shopify->call() #1 [internal function]: ControllerInstall->activate() #2 /home/openca8/public_html/intuitiveshipping.com/app/system/engine/front.php(42): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #3 /home/openca8/public_html/intuitiveshipping.com/app/system/engine/front.php(29): Front->execute(Object(Action)) #4 /home/openca8/public_html/intuitiveshipping.com/app/index.php(204): Front->dispatch(Object(Action), Object(Action)) #5 {main} thrown in /home/openca8/public_html/intuitiveshipping.com/app/system/library/shopify.php on line 80

Perhpas because I am not on the Advanced Plan?

0 Likes
Tourist
12 0 2

Thank you Anders but it seems as though Bespoke doesn't support Canada Post.

Will look into both options suggested here tomorrow when I am more awake LOL.

Thanks again to both of you!

0 Likes

Not a problem.  We're currently working on our documentation so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us for assistance.

You can reach us through the support page within the app.

1 Like

Can you send me an email at support@intuitiveshipping.com?  I'll take a look into this for you.

Edit:

You're right.  Shopify returned Unprocessable Entity when attempting to create the carrier service for Intuitive Shipping.

1 Like
Tourist
12 0 2

5 months and still the same problem with no resolution...very frustrating.

Shopify needs a software fix to allow selecting different shipping packages and weights in the Product database.

Seriously Shopiy, I am not a software guru but this can not be something so hard to add to a yearly, basic plan, can it?

In the Product attributes, allow us to select a package size for that Product.

3 to 4 sizes would be sufficient.

Please and thank you!

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 5

I just finished complaining about this very same topic on another thread, Shopify folks, just a thought but  suggesting we always fall back on using some other 3rd party app to solve a problem gives the sense that there is really no desire to solve the problems with your platform.

Your customers want to pickup, "buy an app", you need to edit orders "buy an app", you want shipping to actually work so you are not on the hook for the difference "buy an app" lol, why not just fix the damn problems and offer features that make it desirable to upgrade?

I am losing patience with this "buy an app" philosophy quickly, I just want a store that works!

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

We really need that function too. Canada post uses weight AND size to calculate shipping fees. Shopify say they "integrate" with Canada post but does not consider the package size!? That's forcing people to buy apps... Seriously, which store has only one package size!? None! A company the size of Shopify knows that for sure and like I said is forcing users to buy apps by deliberately not including some key functions. Same suggestion here: adding a field to select per product package size would solve the case and make Shopify much more interesting for our customers. Our agency will not offer Shopify anymore if that function is not added in the basic plan.

0 Likes