Why is my Shopify store temporarily unavailable after upgrading my plan?

wremon
Tourist
3 0 3

Good day,

This is my first time in Shopify. I am having problem accessing my store, This happened after I upgrade my plan. One minute everything is good, and then after that I get error message (kindly see below).

"This page is temporarily unavailable because a device from your location is sending large amounts of web requests. Visitors from other locations can still view the page."

I tried to contact the support (around 12am GMT +8), but I am getting the same error. So my only option is only using email. Until now, no support is coming, right now Im getting frustrated with Shopify .

Remon

Replies 30 (30)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

Hey, there!

This error comes up when something on your device/network is sending too many requests to our servers. This could be a variety of things, so here are a few things to check: 

1. Do you have more than one device on your network? If yes, you could try shutting them down, then turning them on one by one to see which device is causing the issue. 
  2. Have you tried incognito mode? If this works, then this would typically mean that one of your browser extensions is causing the issue. 
  3. Does this happen on a different browser? If yes, then that typically means it's a program on your device vs your browser. 

Let me know how that turns out!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

wremon
Tourist
3 0 3

Hi,

I have tried those 3. None of them is working. Well they work for a few minutes, and then goes back to the problem.

wremon
Tourist
3 0 3

Oh, no reply until now. This is very disappointing. This post only received an templated reply from a staff, I already reply just a few minutes after them and I didn't received any response after.

I have not yet received a reply from my email support. I guest this is the 24/7 support they are calling. Just very disappointing. This is a business and every time you cannot access or having problem on your store is a potential loss of money for the entrepreneur. Very disappointing and unprofessional.

May
Shopify Staff
333 33 176

Hi, @wremon.

This is May from Shopify. 

I'm sorry to hear you've had a frustrating experience with our response time in the forums. Our team monitors forum posts regularly, but unlike our 24/7 live support, responses from Shopify Staffs in our forums usually take up to 24 business hours. If you need a more immediate response, I do recommend reaching out to our live support channels.

Thank you for the update, and I'm sorry to hear that the steps provided by Peter above did not work for your store. Since this is the case, I have reached out to our technical support team, and they would like to take a deeper look into the issue for further troubleshooting. That said, I will send you an email to the email address attached to your forums account. Moving to email means I can authenticate your account and loop in our tech support team. 

Thank you for your patience. Chat soon!

May | Social Care @ Shopify

OwnerOfStores
Visitor
1 0 1

We are seeing the same error on our shopify stores and have asked for support. Given the shopify suggestions above, no customer is going to try these resolutions! They will just go to another store. Most will not even know how to contact you if they wanted since YOUR STORE IS BLOCKED BY SHOPIFY!

If you are looking to move a store, DO NOT CONSIDER SHOPIFY.

justinichols
Visitor
3 0 0

Our office and customers have been receiving the same error message on our Shopify store daily and have asked for support numerous times. 
This is the response provided by Technical Support:

"I appreciate that this isn't ideal for you and your store, however every Shopify store on the platform is subject to this regardless of what plan they are on. This Bot Protection is an integral part of our security and we don't make any exceptions to it. The only guaranteed solution to prevent the Bot Protection from triggering is to keep almost all activity to the admin of the store as it won't be trigged by traffic to the admin, only the storefront.

If you have any questions, let me know."

I agree, no customer is going to try these solutions! They will just visit another website store. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 9.36.46 AM.png

daniel444
Visitor
2 0 1

Hello,

I am experiencing the same problem. Please help.

justinichols
Visitor
3 0 0

My issue was resolved.
After countless emails and calls with Support, they found the issue was caused by 'Bot Protection' and stated they would not be able to make any adjustments to that software. I refused to settle for that answer, after submitting numerous requests for weeks to review the error_log a representative reviewed the log and saw several invalid links sending hundreds of requests per day.
After adding the redirects the issue was resolved.
Long story short, make sure all redirects / address forwarding is completed before moving to Shopify. 

daniel444
Visitor
2 0 1
Thanks for you answer, I will have to call them then.

Best.
aolk16
Visitor
1 0 1

I'm having the same issue - I have a apparel store so of course I'm going to be scrolling through many items.  I also noticed this problem on another apparel store that I happened to be scrolling through the products - it kept coming up with the error. Problem is I can't get in touch with spotify. I googled their number which had a recorded message that said go to questions and request a call back - I can't find anywhere to leave my number. I just keep getting bounced to the main menu of the support page. I need to get this sorted urgently or my business will die before it has begun!

kennygilroy
Visitor
2 0 0
Hi

Do you have you logged in on more than 1 computer
I'm not sure if it was coincidence but when I logged out of my other
computer I was than able to log on .albeit the next morning

Kenny

justinichols
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Kenny,
Yes, 3 computers, logging in with multiple computers should not cause an issue.
My issue was resolved, as mentioned I contacted Shopify tech support and reviewed the error_log with a Shopify representative. We discovered there were old image links that were pinging the root domain. Once the paths to the images were revised and redirects were added the issue was resolved. 

Blake_Heiner
Excursionist
13 0 8

I have had shopify for 5 years and never had this issue until tonight.  Seems most of the previous replies had to do with migrating a story to shopify causing this issue, but my store has been up and running for like i said 5 years.  It only seems to give me this error when i'm viewing some of my admin, and trying to use any of my apps.  None of which were added tonight or even in the last month.  I did create a new product about an hour ago, I duplicated an existing hat product to create a new hat product. Maybe that caused it?  

It appears customers are still able to browse my site and checkout as orders are coming in still, but if i can't access my admin, then the store might as well not exist. need helppppppp

Anybody have any idea what might be causing this?

Brett21
12 0 0

I am having the same issue. The only thing I did was install an app that does SEO optimization it will send information to google constantly updated my products. For some reason this triggered the security feature from shopify for bot protection. Do I let the app finnish updated all my products or do I remove this app? What happens to all the work the app did if I remove the app?? This app is on the shopify list so I don't get why this is happening. Could this just be temporary until most of the work is done and then everything goes back to normal? The app is SEO Optimizer by Booster apps. Is this app causing this

?Untitl546ed.jpg

Treacle100
Excursionist
15 0 7

I am also having this issue this morning having never had this before.....

Treacle100
Excursionist
15 0 7

Ah...just tried again and I am in now with no problems - very very odd!

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

Hey, Everyone! 

Thank you for letting me know! We did see an issue earlier today where some stores were unable to load their admin which caused the error: "This page is temporarily unavailable because a device from your location is sending large amounts of web requests. Visitors from other locations can still view the page." - The issue has since been resolved; however, if you're still experiencing this error please let me know!

mattyprice4004
Visitor
1 0 0

I now have the same message, I've never seen it before and I'm using the Shopify software as normal. Not great when we pay so much for our package! 

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@mattyprice4004 

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this error. Would you mind clarifying if you have tried the troubleshooting steps provided in this thread? Have any of the steps provided helped, or are you still seeing the error?

cherylfoh
Explorer
73 5 40

We are having this issue right now at packturtle.com. Came on suddenly. Our collection pages load very slow and some of the images do not load. We get the error page sometimes when clicking through the products or changing the sort options and sometimes when accessing the backend or clicking around in there.

I am hoping support is looking into this as I don't believe this has anything to do with devices on my office network sending too many requests. I have been on Shopify for over a year now and I have been using it extensively on several computers here, much more than I am now and I have never had this issue.

I have tried the troubleshooting steps here and I see others have recently reported this problem and there doesn't seem to be a real resolution or any diagnostic data to show the problem is anything other than Shopify itself.

kennygilroy
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi May 

I try get in to contact support but keep getting asked to log in ... only thing is thats why im contacting shopify support ... I cant log in I just get the something went wrong screen???

Shopify is temporarily unavailable

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@kennygilroy 

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues connecting to your account. Sometimes this error appears if the URL is typed incorrectly as most stores have dashes between each word instead of being one entire word (i.e your-domain-example.myshopify.com vs yourdomainexample.myshopify.com). If you're entering the correct email, password, and store URL but still seeing an error, then let me know. I'll verify the account to take a deeper look. You can also reach out to Shopify support via Twitter and Facebook

Gattopardo
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi Peter

I have been enjoying this message from a while now. I’m building my store and I need to try pages and functions constantly. You should filter out this condition from logged store’s owners. It is very hard to get things done like this.

dluiken
Visitor
1 0 0

Exact same issue for me.

I was planning on transferring over a site to Shopify, and have been experiencing this and is making me largely reconsider.

Gattopardo
Tourist
7 0 1

Who changed my original comment to this one? This ridiculous behavior from Shopify really proves what I was saying in my original message.

Shannon123
Visitor
1 0 0

Despite attempting the above, I've experienced the same error.

SCoellPhoto
Tourist
20 0 1

This page is temporarily unavailable because a device from your location is sending large amounts of web requests. Visitors from other locations can still view the page.

Same here this has got to be a Joke, like when you pay for something, then their site doesn't work or can't keep up with requests and blocks you and then blames your network, heaven forbid you try to do some work on your site.

zyla999
Shopify Partner
13 0 6

All of a sudden, I am having the same issue. I am rebuilding my store, so I go and refresh some pages (nothing crazy), and I keep getting that message. I wonder if a customer browses my store if they get kicked out too. It is really annoying. 

Is there a way to check some logs for activity what could be sending those requests? I have disabled every single one of my apps but I'm still getting kicked out.

Gattopardo
Tourist
7 0 1

The message you’re seeing probably means your site is getting hit with too much traffic from one place. It’s like when too many people try to get through a door at once and end up stuck. This could be because of bots – these are programs that do stuff automatically on the internet. Sometimes they’re harmless, like those used by Google to find and index websites, but other times they can be a bit more sinister, like those trying to mess with your site. But good luck with Shopify because based on my experience you really need it. In my case Shopify’s response was frustratingly inadequate. They were slow to acknowledge the problem, and their reluctance to admit any responsibility or to offer a practical solution was exasperating. Their refusal to restore my website from a backup added insult to injury, leaving me pissed with a still, a compromised site. I faced the loss of both time (months) and money ($$$$) - resources spent on developing the website were essentially wasted, and the error message persisting on the site hinted at ongoing security vulnerabilities, casting a shadow over the site’s reliability and integrity. The lack of support and accountability from Shopify is a real eye-opener about the level of professionalism and support offered one might expect in crisis situations. For anyone using or considering Shopify, especially with third-party applications, this experience serves as a cautionary tale. It highlights the need to be prepared for potential security issues and to possibly seek external expert assistance, given the platform’s limitations in handling such situations because they do want zero accountability. So you all know.

Jason3A
Tourist
3 0 1

I signed up with Shopify in early 2021 & the selling factor was 24/7 Live Tech Support (I wouldn't have transferred my business to Shopify if the only way to get support was Online Chat or Email). I have spent an unbelievable amount of money transferring my business to Shopify & in 2023 Shopify has eliminated the 24/7 Live Tech Support & I said this before & will say it again. The 24/7 Live Tech Support was the determining  factor to transfer my business to Shopify.

I believe a Class Action Lawsuit should be brought against Shopify for promoting & selling there customer's on 24/7 Live Tech Support & then eliminating it & raising our monthly fee's. I believe that all the customer's that signed up with Shopify & transferred there business with the 24/7 Live Tech Support being the determining factor to transfer your business.

The customer's that signed up with the 24/7 Live Tech Support being one of the services Shopify provided. We the customer's should be grandfathered in & Shopify should honor there agreement / contract with there customer's.

If any other Shopify customer / business feels the same way. Comment on this post, tell your storey & lets see how many people this Shopify Discussions can get on the board.

It's important to stand up for yourself in any situation, including dealing with companies like Shopify. Make sure to know your rights, set boundaries, and communicate clearly if you feel they are crossing a line or taking advantage of you. Don't be afraid to seek help or advice if needed. It's crucial to protect yourself and your interests in any business dealings.

Family Owned & Operated Business