Shopify 301 Redirection Help

Solved
Highlighted

Hello there, My name is Pawan, I have a client and he wants to change his Shopify Domain Name. I can change it but I'm a bit confused because if I change the website domain name, do I have to redirect all the subpages to the new URLs or it will automatically redirect it to the new URLs and also I don't want that the website I will lose its organic traffic. So, Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Kpawan,

I'd be happy to take a look at your site and see if I can help.

I've worked on quite a few high-profile Shopify sites and would definitely know how to solve this problem.

Feel free to contact me at: hello@stonedigital.com.au

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Would be happy to discuss further over Skype or Zoom when you have time.

Cheers,

Stone Digital

Was my answer helpful? Be sure to give it a "Like" and mark it as the solution - this way others can find it easily.
- Need help with a Shopify build or custom solution? Feel free to get in touch via hello@stonedigital.com.au !
- Did my reply help solve your problem? The above email is my Paypal too ʘ‿ʘ
1 Like
Highlighted

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Pawan,

Domain migration is simple in Shopify. Add the domain to Shopify and under your Online Store preferences, ensure all domains redirect to this new domain. No redirects are necessary as Shopify will point each page appropriately. However, I suggest you do a Change of Address with Google to help the migration of SEO. Some internal links should be updated if they are absolute rather than relative, but they will still work. They'll just redirect.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
1 Like
Highlighted

Ok, If I need your help, I will connect you through the email. Thank you

0 Likes

Thank you so much, Josh. It will really help me and If I need further assistance I will contact with you. Great help Josh!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

I recently changed my website name and updated the info in preferences. However, my shopify URL still shows the old site name? How do I change this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your help with this subject. I'm in the same situation, I all ready changed domains in shopify. However, Google change of adress tool is not recognizing the 301 redirects.  Any thoughts?

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 10.31.05 AM.png

0 Likes
Highlighted

There is a lot of confusion on this topic when migrating websites to Shopify or changing your Root Domain Name (for companies Re-Branding with a new domain). 

My company specializes in SEO Retention and this exact type of work and it is very important to put this into context to be sure it is very clear. 

1. If you are migrating your website to Shopify then all pages should be matched page for page 1:1. 
  2. 301-Redirects must be added for every single OLD Page from the existing websites Canonical URL to the Shopify Handle. 

If you're changing your brand and you already have a Shopify website and you want to change the ROOT Domain Name (like Pelican.com > PelicanCommerce.com) then you need to do the following:

1. Keep your existing domain name connected to Shopify e.g. Pelican.com
  2. Add your new domain name into Shopify e.g. PelicanCommerce.com
  3. Then change the primary domain name to the new domain name and make sure "Redirection" is turned on in the Shopify Domains area. 

What this does is Shopify redirects the top ROOT domain to the new ROOT domain when traffic flows into the old domain. It passes this redirect as a 301-Redirect which will then update in Google after a few weeks. You do NOT need to modify any directory paths for your pages. This means no other 301-Redirects need to happen for any other pages in the system because Shopify first and always redirects the top ROOT domain, then they redirect the directory (everything after the forward-slash / ). 

If you are migrating your website to Shopify, AND you're changing your ROOT Domain, then follow both of the above steps and add the NEW ROOT Domain and the OLD ROOT Domain, redirect the OLD ROOT in Shopify to the NEW ROOT. Then add 301-Redirects for each individual page on your website from OLD to NEW URL Path.

If you need help with this entire migration process or just setting up your domain properly in Shopify, then reach out to us at Pelican Commerce about our Shopify services. We specialize in Shopify migration and DNS projects. 

0 Likes