Shopify Amazon integration - Requiring a UPC, but I have a GTIN exemption from Amazon?

Shopify Partner
2 0 7

The title mostly sums it up. I'm trying to use Shopify's Amazon integration to sell my products on Amazon. Shopify's Amazon integration is asking me for a UPC for each item, but I've successfully applied for and received a GTIN exemption from Amazon (it was actually pretty easy. I just had to fill out a short web form, print and sign a letter saying that I own the brand name in question. They got back to me less than eight hours later).

I could probably put in a placeholder UPC, but I'd worry that's going to screw things up on Amazon's end. 

Any advice? Screenshot below:

7 Likes
Tourist
4 0 5

Would really like an answer to this as well, I'm also GTIN exempt.

3 Likes
1 0 1

I am also UPC exempt / GTIN exempt.  The workaround for this undermines the integration, so it would be great if there were a way to disable having UPC as a required field.

I think to bypass this, you need to list your product manually on amazon seller central.  Then, instead of adding a product on the amazon sales channel in shopify, you link your existink amazon listing to the shopify listing manually once the new listing finds its way into your product list.

1 Like
1 0 1

I have the same issue (registered brand), the Amazon channel is kinda pointless if you are UPC exempt (we are only required to upload a model number / SKU) - buy yet are being forced to add a UPC here.

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 1

We mentioned this issue as soon as it came out. Please reach to Shopify this way they realize it is a major issue. I told them that most of their clients are  probably UPC exempt. 

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 5

Adding to this- the Google Shopping app has a small checkbox to tell Google to ignore product identifiers. If Shopify/Amazon could add this feature, it would save us GTIN exempt sellers so much time, as Brian mentioned above it undermines the whole integration channel. 

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 5

This is the route I've been taking, it's such a production time killer inputting everything into inventory but necessary at this point. Really hope they update it soon.. maybe if enough people bring it up?

1 Like
2 0 1

I need this to work so badly!! Please figure it out Amazon/Shopify. I have contacted both parties and neither have been able to give me an answer. They have both just pointed fingers thus far. Please save us the time!

1 Like
Shopify Partner
5 0 1

Same problem here! Please Shopify, provide us a solution :'(

1 Like
1 0 1

Add me to the list. I went through the process of Brand Registry approval with Amazon so I would love to be able to list directly from Shopify through the Amazon app without having to input a UPC. For now I guess I'll have to list through Amazon and then link the listings. :(

1 Like