Shopify Billing CANADIAN taxes

1 0 0

Forgive me, but I did a seach and cannot seem to find an answer.

My bill shows by monthly fee in USD> $29.00

but then it is charging me GST 5% and HST 8% on top of that BUT IN USD!!

Is that allowed?

Total bill comes in USD, which is fine I suppose, but I am not sure it's right that they are charging me CANADIAN TAXES in USD

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
465 8 102

Hey!

Aria here, one of the Social Care gurus at Shopify.

I understand where you're coming from. I'm in Canada as well. It would be nice to pay the whole bill in CAD but the reason we bill in USD is that it's the most common currency used by merchants and customers on Shopify. Since GST and HST is a percentage of your bill, it needs to be in USD because the rest of the bill is. If we converted it into CAD, it would confuse people because the percentage would seem wrong. The total tax is 13% which is $3.77 on a $29 bill. Using today's exchange rate, that would be $4.95 CAD which would lead people to believe we were billing them 17% instead of 13%. It would also fluctuate as the exchange rate changes so it would seem odd the tax is different on every bill. Does that make sense?

How are you getting on with your store otherwise?

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Aria,

Thanks for explanation, that helped me as well.... I have other question about it.

In my bill, I can see (GST,PST and Canada HST Canada Post ON (8%)). I don't know where do you base on to get this amount... If I calculate based on shipping fees that show in my bill, the amount is different.

How can I get more explanation about my bill? I would like to see in details all reasons for each charge.

Hope heard from you soon. 

Thanks. Have a great day!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
465 8 102

Hey, @accountingAW 

Aria here!

I'd love to help you with that but it's difficult for me to understand the context without being able to see your bill. 

For personal issues that relate specifically to your business, please reach out to our support directly, so that we can authenticate you and access your account to give you accurate answers. You can contact us here. You can also contact us on Facebook Messenger.

For further context, this post covers all of the support we can provide and what each type of support is best for. 

We look forward to helping you out!

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes