Shopify Black Bar on Bottom of Page in Chrome

mybaitshop
Excursionist
26 0 21

Is anybody else seeing this?  I am logged into my admin page.  When I open another window or tab and go to my website I used to get the Shopify circle in the bottom left corner.  I could live with that.  A couple of days ago that has now changed to a big black bar along the bottom of each page to edit the page or collection etc.  I can close it out but it reappears on every single page.  I was hoping this was just a temporary bug and would go away.  It has not.  Is anybody else seeing this?  Is there a way to disable it?  It is annoying.  Only happens in Chrome.  I am using an updated version.  Have restarted, etc.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks.  Sample screenshot below.

mybaitshop_0-1597696945744.png

Replies 18 (18)

rferraro01
Visitor
2 0 0

got the same issue starting today, please comment if you found a solution

mybaitshop
Excursionist
26 0 21

No I never found a solution.  It's still there and annoying in Chrome.

rferraro01
Visitor
2 0 0
Thanks, I think it has something to do with making edits in CSS then going to preview mode. Then forever the bar comes up

EnquiringMind
Excursionist
11 0 4

This is driving me crazy also.  Anyone find a solution?

Lenay
Visitor
1 0 0

Same! Please keep us updated if there is a fix. 

Happy_Trailhead
Tourist
6 0 1

I hate that thing, make it go away! Is it only on Chrome?

Happy_Trailhead
Tourist
6 0 1

I think I've sorted this out. It appears to be because you are logged into the backend as an admin. Even if you log out though, apparently you are still recognized as admin probably due to information held in cashe and thus the black bar remains. The solid workaround is to open your store site in a 'New Incognito Window', (from the 'three verticle dots' menu far right of the menu bar in Chrome), then you are therefore not recognized as admin and the black bar disappears.

Bear in mind though, surfing your store in 'incognito mode' will cause all your activity to be recorded in analytics and skew your data with inauthentic data. I suspect that might be the purpose of the black bar recognition, perhaps your onsite activity in that mode is not recorded into site stats. I can't confirm any of this, just speculating. 

So if you just can't live with the black bar, open an incognito window and say goodbye black bar.

crazydog
Tourist
6 0 3

I LOVE the black bar. It allows me to edit anything I want without having to switch to admin mode. There's a button right there to switch to edit mode whether or not I'm in a page, collection or product. It's such a time saver. My problem is my co-worker doesn't have it and wants it, and I don't know how to get it enabled for her. Mine showed up one day a couple years ago, and has been there all along. Hers was there, then recently disappeared and we're trying to find a way to get it back. We work in shopify all day long - it is the best thing ever for making our edits effortless.

Marc1967
Tourist
6 0 14

The bar at the bottom is annoying as hell! 

There are things in my footer that I want, and need, to see.

Surely, there must be a hack to get rid of it. 

I'm not great at .css, but, likely, the answer can be hacked in there,

Yes, if anyone gets the answer, please post back.

Thank you! 

daniraper
Visitor
1 0 2

In the left hand nav bar of shopify admin, there is a little "eye" icon to the right of Online Store. Click this. 

AakashInfoTech
Shopify Partner
126 10 19

Hey, the black bar is showing only to you because you are an admin of Shopify.
Don't worry that this bar will not show to others.

You can check your website without admin and then you will not see that bar.

Thank you  

banned
crazydog
Tourist
6 0 3

I want the black bar & shopping bag icon - it allows me to quickly login to the backend. The issue is that I'm not getting it after I switched to a new computer. I am logged in as administrator, but still not getting it.

crazydog
Tourist
6 0 3

That just shows the home page. I use that regularly. I need a way for the admin black bar to show in that view for easy navigation to the admin pages. Shopify support is no longer available by phone. So I'm pretty much stuck unless someone has encountered this once before and solved it.

jason3w
Shopify Partner
21 1 16

As Daniraper said:
In the left hand nav bar of shopify admin, there is a little "eye" icon to the right of Online Store. Click this. 

This works. 

Blakonik
Excursionist
13 0 4

THANK YOU!  I would never have figured this out. Mine black bar suddenly disappaeard and I use it for editing and didn't know what happened nor how to get it back. This worked!

agoragoods
Visitor
1 0 0

Any luck finding our how to get the bar back? I love it too and it disappeared for me as well. 

Brinkkjaer
Visitor
1 0 0

I can confirm that this is the case. I tried split-testing so to speak and you are right. The Store visit is only recorded if you are incognito. 

KWallace
Tourist
8 0 1

At least it says edit mine now says navigate to administration which I don't need. I cannot remember clearly how it was before the black bar, but it was not as invasive and it worked. 

Then  I got a black bar with edit.  Just when I got use to it.  The edit part doesn't work. If you click the x do you get a shopify bag on the left?  I think it use to be there but is was a ghost image.

https://community.shopify.com/c/technical-q-a/navigate-to-admin-button/m-p/720551