Shopify Buy X Get Y Discount does not work with Paypal Express Checkout!

Highlighted
9 0 0

HI! 

Shopify Buy X Get Y Discount does not with Paypal Express Checkout! 

Is there a way around it, because many of my customers use Paypal! 

Also Paypal button appears at the cart page, where is no discount applied, but does not appear at the checkout, where discount is applied. 

So is there a way to place Paypal button at the checkout instead of Add to cart page? 

Thank you! 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
791 44 121

Hey, there!

Peter here from Shopify Support!

If your customers select the Paypal option from the cart page vs when completing the purchase through the checkout process then they would lose out on the ability to add a discount code to the order. This is due to how the Paypal integration works as it automatically redirects the customer before a discount code can be applied. 

You can remove the button from your cart page, however! For starters, you'll want to get your themes HTML code open. To do this, you'll want to navigate to Online Store/Themes, then click "Actions" then "Edit Code."

From here, you’ll need to find “cart-template.liquid” which will be found under your “Sections” folder. The next step will vary a bit from one theme to another, however, the key is to find “content_for_additional_checkout_buttons” in this liquid file. Using “Command + F” on apple computers, or “Shift+F” on windows computers will help you find this:

Once you've located this piece of code, you'll want to tell the system to ignore it by putting it between {% comment %} and {% endcomment %}. The result will look like the code below:

Once you've made those changes, you can click on Save, and that should remove the button from your cart page!

If you're not comfortable making these changes yourself, then our theme support team can do this on your behalf so long as your using a Shopify theme and your account is eligible. If you'd like to go this route, let me know and I can start the authentication process! 

All the best, 

Peter 
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
9 0 0

Thank you for detailed answer. 

I removed the Paypal from the cart page and it automatically appeared in the Checkout page. 

Now the discount goes through. 

Actually it is much better this way, rather than Paypal being in the cart page. 

Because of this I was able to set up to go to checkout immediatly when pressing "Ad to Cart" button and skip the Cart page. I think it increased conversions! 

Many thanks. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
791 44 121

Hey, again!

That's great to hear! I'm happy that we were able to get that resolved. ?

Let me know if you have any other questions!

All the best, 

Peter
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes