Shopify Charges Canadian Stores in USD

Chris_Long
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
8 0 0
Hi Tina and Mark, I spoke to our controller on this topic. Even though we are a Canadian company based out of Ottawa, we do have US investors and our books are reported in USD. As a result, Shopify has always billed in USD, no matter where you are located. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks, Chris
0 Likes
Mark_Strange
Tourist
10 0 6

Okay I have to say that I AM happy with how easy it was to set up my shopify store, the quick feedback to my concerns, the great SEO built in, the powerful functionality of the dashboard and reports and ease in accepting payments through stripe and paypal integration. This whole US/CAN dollar thing is the only buggy thing that irritates me. Obviously Shopify can't control the fluctuating markets but I hate it that it's the Canadian Shopify stores that take the hit. As a reseller of products that mostly get imported from the US, it's going to be a tough year with our sinking dollar. 

Tina_Chamandy
Tourist
8 0 10

I'm with you Mark, I'm very happy with shopify so far - though I haven't actually launched my store yet.  But I'm still bugged by the USD thing.  American companies have US investors and report in USD but still charge Canadian customers in CAD:  Godaddy is a  good example. So I still don't understand why a Canadian company is charging Canadian customers in USD. 

Chris_Long
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
8 0 0

Hi Tina and Mark,

I understand where you're coming from, and have raised the issue with our team internally. Unfortunately, this is not a simple decision or change to implement. 

I'll update the thread if I do hear any specific timelines. 

Thanks,

Chris

0 Likes
Jennifer_Gray
1 0 1

I am also a Canadian Shopify merchant and it is more than irritating to be charged for my fees in USD and to add insult to injury - the GST as well! This has been a bone of contention since I noticed it after I was billed a few times.

I feel that this is unfair as we are all Canadian and the Americans benefit from better pricing than we do! I was told by one Shopify agent that it was because Shopify has some sort of agreement with Stripe, the payment processor that they use. This is an unfair practice! I think I would instead rather use a US based company that at least does not charge GST because they are American.

I can't imagine one Canadian being happy with this practice.

Tina_Chamandy
Tourist
8 0 10

Hi Jennifer. Thanks for your comments and support on this issue.  It's nice to have company when swimming against the tide. It is hard to believe any Canadians would be happy about this, but as you can see from the lack of posts on this topic, most it would seem are not bothered by it.  I wonder if this will still be the case if the CAD falls to mid to lower .80's.

0 Likes
Alan_Drummond
1 0 2

Shopify still has not answered the question...why? Because they want to put the exchange in their pockets. Its ridiculous. The website still does not indicate that the monthly fee is in USD either even though Chris Long said that would be changed very soon....6 months ago. 

I am a new user and shop owner but will not be around long because of this subterfuge and for being taken advantage of. 

I even wonder about the legality of charging HST on a USD transaction??????

Make things clearer and transparent or I'm gone. 

Alan Drummond
Kingdom Outdoor Products

Chris_Long
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
8 0 0

Hi Alan,

I understand your concerns, but as I said above this is not an easy or simple change to implement. 

For example, do we charge $29.99 CAD for our basic plan? But then, as a Canadian, you would actually be paying less than someone in the US or UK. It's tricky to value your product across different currencies! But we are exploring options, it's unfortunately not something that can easily be done or provide a timeline.

Our pricing page (http://www.shopify.ca/pricing) does have a disclaimer along the bottom, but I noticed today that there is no disclaimer on the pricing page in the Shopify Admin (shopify.com/admin/settings/account/plan). We'll be updating that page. 

As a Canadian company, we are required by the government to charge HST to Canadian customers even though it's being charged in USD. 

Thanks,

Chris

0 Likes
papelypastel
Tourist
3 0 2

I agree with the other Canadian store owners. I just signed up for a Basic Plan at $29 after a free trial. I haven't opened my store yet. I expected this to be in USD but was shocked to be billed $36.79 Canadian! That's without any transaction fees yet since I haven't opened my store. Now I happened upon this thread as I didn't catch the new disclaimer that is referenced about the fees in USD. With other unexpected costs like additional plugins and not having the ability to easily set up shipping variants (if you ship from more than one place, the Unlimited Plan won't help you even if you can afford it), I just don't see the value in this as a Canadian store owner. If you are a U.S. shop owner and ship from one address, this might be the option for you. However with the additional costs and tedious setup, I may as well try WooCommerce.

Ec00
2 0 3
I agree. I was very excited to be able to work with a Canadian ecommerce company but was confused as to why they were charging USD. Why are they advertising USD prices in a .CA website? Why not be honest and upfront with their prices and charge the Canadian price on a .CA website?
After I did more research I kept getting more frustrated and angry because I feel they are not being truthful and have turned their backs on Canadian businesses. What made me even more angry is that they charged USD rates and ALSO charged the PST and GST!!!!!
I am sure this is an anger that every Canadian company has felt when dealing with Shopify. I'm now only with Shopify only out of necessity. If a different Canadian ecommerce company was to arise, I would be the first to leave Shopify because they have blatantly turned their backs on Canadian companies while being headquartered IN CANADA.