Shopify Domain Transfer To New Owner

Highlighted
1 0 0

I wish to transfer a Shopify site with the Shopify domain to a new client. I can transfer the store, but would like to know how  I transfer the Domain?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
424 29 63

Hi, there!

To change the details of the registration information for the domain, you can follow these steps:

• Click on Online Store > Domains
  • Under the Shopify-managed domains section, click on Manage next to the domain.
  • Click on Edit next to Registrar Information.

You can change the name, contact email, address and phone number to the new owner’s information, or have the new owner make this change themselves once you have transferred ownership of the store. Changing the email address will send a new verification email to that email address, and the new owner of the domain would then receive any notifications about the domain at the new email address.

The email will notify the new owner that they are the new registrant of the domain, and will provide them with the options of accepting the trade or not accepting the trade.

Before transferring the ownership of your store over, make sure to follow these instructions: Transferring account ownership.

Let me know if that helps!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi There,

When I edited the registrar information to a different email, I never got an email notification to the new email to transfer the domain. 

How can I change the registrar information?

Thanks,
JCode

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
424 29 63

Hi, @JCodeChoreo.

Tira here, from Shopify.

I am happy to help you out. What steps did you take to edit your registrar information? An email will send out to the old email address that was on file before the registrar information was changed, did you receive that one? 

Once I have more information from you, I can walk you through the next steps! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0
Hi Tira,

Sorry for the late reply. I went to 'Domains', clicked 'Manage' beside the
domain, and clicked 'edit' under Registrar Information. I typed in our
jcodechoreo@gmail.com and changed other information. Unfortunately, the
individual who helped set up our website on Shopify, had their email and
information in it. I have not been able to contact this person for them to
see if they got an email to change it, etc.

Thanks & let me know if there is anything else I can do to change it. Also,
how would this affect us if the registrar information is incorrect and
under someone else's email address?

Thank you,

JCode
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
424 29 63

Thank you for your reply, @JCodeChoreo

I appreciate the details you've provided here. It sounds like you have gone through with the proper steps to update your registrar information. Just to confirm, are you only looking to update the email for the Registrar Information? 

If you aren't transferring domains, then there is no need to check the old email address that was used for the Registrar Information on the domain. When the email is updated, you should receive an email to verify your email address and the domain. Any emails about the domain would then be sent to the new email address going forward, so if there is any incorrect information added into the registrar information, then communications from the domain provider won't be received, so it's important to keep these updated with the correct information.

Sometimes these emails can be mistaken for spam in your email folders. Can you please check your spam or junk email folder to see if you received any emails there? Are you currently receiving emails from other email addresses? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0
Hi Tira,

I was also trying to update the phone number and address as well. So, it just takes a while for it to update?

Thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
424 29 63

Once the domain is verified, the updates to the domain should take affect within 4 hours. Check out our help doc that outlines this timeframe: Managing your domain.

Were you able to find the verification email in your spam or junk folder? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0
No, I haven’t see a verification email at all in spam/junk. I tried to edit the info again yesterday.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
424 29 63

Thank you for checking. I would like to take a deeper look at your store so that I can what's going on and troubleshoot. If needed, I may forward your store over to our technical team to take a further look.

To make it easier for you, I have sent an email to the email address listed on your Shopify Community profile. Please check your inbox. 

Once I hear from you, I dig into this more for you. I look forward to hearing from you.

0 Likes