Shopify Emails not Authenticating

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi there,

When sending a customer an email from the built in email system (on the order page) it get this error message: 

This is the mail system at host smtp-relay.ash.shopify.com. I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below. For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster. If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system <lewis@junxclothing.co.uk>: host mail.junxclothing.co.uk[37.209.208.29] said:550 Authentication is required for relay (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

I've spoken with the email provider, and they have said it's because Shopify are not authenticating my email (store@junxclothing.co.uk), but shopify say this can not be done..

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Lewis 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
242 1 20

Hi Lewis

We can't "authenticate" the emails but there is something you can try. If the domain and email provder support SPF.

You will need to use the email address associated with your custom domain and add a special kind of TXT record to your domain, called a SPF record. 

These records follow a specific syntax that must be used.

So in the domain DNS settings, add a new TXT record. Put in the value

v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com ~all 

Then save the DNS settings and it should start working within 24-48 hours.

-Shawn R.
Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

it should be noted that this is added to the "@ (None)" TXT record - in my scenario (using Network Solution) I updated my TXT record as follow:

"@ (None)" ---> "v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com -all "

If you already have a spf entry just add the new include - "~" is for the soft fail as explained in http://www.openspf.org/SPF_Record_Syntax - hth!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I followed these instructions for setting include:shops.shopify.com in my domain SPF and tested
multiple order tests and still received failed bounce backs - 

This is the mail system at host smtp.shopify.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

Authentication is required for relay (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

I am very surprised that it being 2020 that Shopify doesn't have a email configuration option in their settings
to allow me to specify my mail server and settings and that it just just doing a non-secured mail relay attempt.

guess it's time to look at other options.

0 Likes