Shopify Fraud Alert - First Sale

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Everyone,

I just had my first sale and it said that a "High risk of fraud" was detected. I was really excited about getting a sale so I confirmed the address with the customer which was legit and then I processed the transaction.

One of the indicators said that CVV wasn't available (but I set it up so that any purchase that fails CVV verification gets declined automatically) does that mean the CVV verification system doesn't work? 

Another indicator said that Billing address/credit card address wasn't available; I set it up so that shipping address comes up as billing address so shouldn't that automatically be filled by the shipping address?

Also, is there a way for me to see what method the customer used to pay for the transaction? Whether its paypal, visa, etc?

Thank you everyone,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
13 1 4

Hi Vkethees, 

Faye here with ClearSale -

It’s been a while since you posted this, sorry we couldn't respond sooner.  

Congratulations on your first sale!

What happened with that order?  How did it go? 

You should be able to see in the transaction details what payment method was used - Shopify help guides should have screenshots available for you.

In terms of an order being tagged as high risk for fraud, there are many factors that merchants need to consider before approving/declining an order.  Some of those other factors to consider would be billing/shipping addresses, IP address, email age, shopping behavior, social presence and many many others.  It's always a good idea to get on the phone with the customer prior to sending an email.  Sometimes that phone call will give you the answers you need.

I would note that each of these items in and of themselves should not be considered for a flat decline or approval. Take CVV for example: CVV is only required/used in a handful of countries such as USA, Canada, and the UK. If a rule is set to verify CVV in a country where CVV is not used, you could have loads of false declines. Taking a wider approach is necessary.

ClearSale uses a hybrid approach and ultimately, if an order is suspect we will evaluate it with our team of nearly 1,000 highly trained analysts before making a final decision. Sometimes having a team trained specific to stopping fraud is a better answer than trying to do it yourself. If this is the case, then we'd be happy to talk to you a bit more.

Fraud is not always a cut and dried answer so this can be challenging for sure. 

If you would like to discuss in more detail we'd be happy to do so!  Drop us a line, any time, at shpy@clear.sale

Faye
Director of Partnerships
clear.sale
0 Likes