Shopify Hosting

Dominic5
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi,

can anyone tell me where the servers are located which are used for the shopify store hosting?

Jana_A_
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
32 0 4

Hi Dominic,

Jana here from the Shopify Guru team :)

Our servers are located in the United States, and that's where our main data is stored. However most of your website information will be stored locally via a Content Delivery Network (CDN). You can read more about the CDN here

Alternately, if your question relates to data transfer consent from EU customers, you can read more about that here.  

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me directly by replying to this post with any more questions or for any clarification :)

Cheers,

Jana A. | Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
JitenderPatwal
1 0 0

I understand Shopify servers are located in the United States. To get the best website speed in India, does a Shopify developer has to use paid CDN?

0 Likes
JonWright
Shopify Partner
731 107 317
Shopify already uses a CDN, so you don’t need to do anything.
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution
fischersd
Tourist
7 0 12

Shopify uses the Fastly CDN.  

Network locations can be found here:  https://www.fastly.com/network-map

0 Likes
Conscendo
1 0 0

Hi Jana,

Can you plz let me know the server address of my shopify store?

I'm in the process of google search verification and need to upload a specified file to my server. Plz see below:

Conscendo_0-1611893202011.png

0 Likes
nothappyjan
Tourist
6 0 0

Hi 

Have been testing the speed of the server in line with the new Google page experience roll out in May 2021  have found that using gtmetrix if I test in Canada I presume that is where Shopify webserver is my page is  A 96% 

But if a change to any other country it drops to B or F  now It seems to me and correct me if I'm wrong, that the reason is!   the time it takes to transfer information from  Shopify server to another country server 

Now this is a problem because I'm in Sydney this means an extra load time of 777ms, and that means I will never get a fast Mobile experience  ranking I'm at 20 % now on google on mobile search but for desktop around  B at 90%

When I contacted Shopify about the problem and asked if they have their own servers in Sydney the reply back was we are Global, so in other words, the answer was no

Conclusion 

This is an issue that needs to be addressed by Shopify, I have also seen a lot of posts up in regards to Shopify owners asking about how to clean up their unused javascript  most of the unused java script is Shopify they also need to clean up this as well 

Below is Screen Shot to prove the lack of speed between  Shopify servers to other parts of the world 

FireShot Pro Screen Capture #3224 - 'Dashboard I GTmetrix' - gtmetrix_com.jpg

0 Likes
WonderWells
5 0 0

Hi,

I'm preparing the launch of a small portuguese site. According to EU regulations, the customer database should be hosted in EU.

How can I check where is the site database being hosted ?

0 Likes
Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
276 60 56

Hi @WonderWells 

Thank you for reaching out to the community forums with your question. I understand you want to ensure that your store is compliant with EU laws about the servers your customer data is stored upon. I know this is an important topic and I'm glad to see you reached out about it. 

We have the information regarding this topic laid out in our GDPR and Cross-border data transfers white paper. You can review those by following the link below. As these are legal documents, it's best that I don't excerpt them here in the forums and allow you to review them in their entirety. Shopify does have procedures in place for managing this kind of data though.

Cross border data transfer whitepaper

GDPR whitepaper and info   

If you have additional questions you need help with, please let me know. You can also email our legal team at legal@shopify.com if you have questions pertaining to the information contained within our whitepaper documents. 

Thank you!

-Shay

Shay | Support Advisor @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
FilipposD
Excursionist
29 1 7

Personal information can be hosted / stored anywhere in the world (otherwise Europeans wouldn't be able to use the Internet as it is). GDPR only requires for the consent of the individual.

0 Likes