Shopify ID verification for shopify payments

Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3323 248 580

Hi @meikewiese, there are a few different things to consider with this but at the end of the day, it is ultimately up to you to decide how you want to proceed:

1.) You could use your UK home address temporarily for this. You would still be asked to provide proof of it in the same way (like a utility bill, lease agreement, etc.) Then later if you wanted to update to a business address, that could be sent to our tax team to help them with that (we’d ask for proof of the business address at that stage). 

2.) You could set up your payment gateway with a third-party partnered gateway in the UK temporarily and once you have a UK business address to then re-apply to switch over to Shopify Payments. It would be better to do this than set up without a UK address (such as a German business address) in the sense of if it is rejected, you would then need to appeal to the Risk assessment team who's decision is normally final on these matters. 

I understand neither of these is completely ideal, but they would be the best and most appropriate ways around this for you. I would NOT suggest chancing it with a German address for a UK based store or vice versa.

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

We are in the same situation. Have you resolved it?

I am open for serious partnership. Message me.
www.xandreapremium.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3323 248 580

Hi @Xandrea,

What is your exact situation? Let me know and I can give you the best advice on the next steps then. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 4

Hi, I have been using Shopify since 2017 and have never had an issue with payments, but today I receive a banner on my store that says 'To continue receiving payouts, you need to update your name in order to verify your identity.'

When I click on 'Update Personal Details' it takes me to a textbox with the correct name... meaning I have already entered the correct name years ago.

In addition I am unable to find anywhere on entire website or phone app to change my name, or to upload a photo ID.

Is this an error with Shopify? It seems very odd that all of a sudden everyone has had their payments paused.

Thankyou

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

They asked for my proof of address and I don't have it. My business is registered in UK for LTD. As far as I know, Shopify is partnered with Stripe. I got verified in Stripe but not in Shopify payment. I even sent some alternative like lease contract letter but they still did not approve it.

www.xandreapremium.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3323 248 580

Hi everyone,

Shopify merchants utilizing Shopify Payments are undergoing a verification process to ensure the information on their Shopify Payments accounts is up to date, complete and accurate. Shopify needs to be compliant with local laws and therefore we need to collect this information. If you are based in the USA or Europe there is some follow-up documentation you can see for this with more information below: 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

I am from Philippines and registered my business in UK.

www.xandreapremium.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Dear Nick

My daughters are an intl band who I manage and are on tour for 8 months of the year based out the UK because bulk of the fans who buy merch are from the UK we set up a shopify about 2 years 

ago with the adress we base from in the UK and also where our merchandise is stocked and stored and sent from. Due to covid we have been unable to tour and stuck in our home country South Africa till we head back out in April for the next 8 month tour. We do have UK bank account to accept stripe payments. I have uloaded my SA drivers, SA passport but it keeps coming back as not accepted? I have asked the man who owns the house we rent when we are in the UK and where we stock all our merchandise to please send us a lease agreement as we hope this will suffice? We intend to register as a company in both UK/USA in the coming months as the band is growing and because we intend to immigrate. Please could you advise? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3323 248 580

Hi @SamD1,

This would be a case of you having to verify you operate out of the UK. But the passports / ID you have been uploading are from South Africa so Stripe is not accepting the ID you are putting through. You should be fine staying listed as the UK, given what you have said about renting a house there but you need to be able to prove that. If you don't have an ID with a UK address, that is fine, but if you have a property rented there, a lease agreement or utility bill from the house should work. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Dear Nick! thanks so much ! We have uploaded a lease agreement. We absolutely love shopify and are in the process of trying to streamline the brand and everything within a company so that going forward we will be able to build the business aspect of the band. When we have formed a LLC which we are in the process of doing UK/USA how will we change the paperwork for the shop to make it into a full business? Will you be able to help/guide us with the process? Merchandise and live streaming is our only way to see us through till we are back on the road next from March. Thankyou so much for taking the time to respond and to give guidance? SIncerely Sam

0 Likes