Shopify Image Quality Optimization (round 2, with stats, 38% Improvement)

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 6

I first contacted them about this issue all the way back in 2014, and they said they'd look at it then, but years on and still nothing.

Even if they don't want to improve their image compression, they could at least do a simple file-size check and not replace the original image with their compressed version if the resultant file is larger.

Very disappointing.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 6

Also: a question or Jordan: how do you use Imgix? They've disabled their Shopify integration guide because of image caching issues, have you had any issues with that?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

@Sina - I am the co-founder of ImageKit.io and we can help you with this problem.

Our integration is super easy and if you want us to do the integration that is also possible.

Read our blog post to know more.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
695 0 15

Hi all, thanks for you contributions and time on this thread and investigation.

I really could just cry. I have spent SO much time and hours and hours of pain trying to fix my photos in Shopify. I use lightroom and/or photoshop. If it's photoshop, until the last couple of years I used 'save for web' with NO ISSUES. I'm not sure when it went to **** but it coincided with a change of studio (and the light), and buying a new camera, and a new laptop, during the last 2-3 years I have been playing splat the rat with issues of calibration, colorspaces, raw, jpeg, browser optimization, lighting. You name it! 

I finally confirmed once and for all having educated myself (I really am not a technical person), and calibrated by screen, that it really is Shopify where my main problems lie. Which is a pig, because that's where I am trying to SELL STUFF.

I have been on Shopify since 2010, I am now thinking I might just as well change to someone else. Big Cartel is for smaller businesses, but the picture quality in my experience is awesome. 

I am even more upset that despite all this evidence, Shopify do not seem to have responded.

jewellery designer-maker & nature inspired photographer | West Yorkshire, UK
1 Like
Highlighted
Explorer
258 0 22

All the pictures on your shop look fine to me. I think it's something people with knowledge of a "problem" get hung up on when the customer wouldn't notice either way.

Don't forget that these days 95% of traffic and sales comes from people using 5" screens or smaller.

To be honest I think your biggest issue on the pictures is not having anything that gives an idea of scale. That's far more important to a customer than an "arty" shot with perfect colour balance etc.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
209 1 102

I believe (unconfirmed) that this thread has been brought to Shopify's attention and they have improved the previous issues they've had in the past with the size of their images.

I have not confirmed this myself, as I don't use them to host, but perhaps you guys should re-investigate as I believe this may be improved since I posted and is less of an issue now.

1 Like
Highlighted
Trailblazer
209 1 102

Ya, looks like they've resolved it to some extent:

https://www.webpagetest.org/result/170617_9A_RK4/

Shopify used to get F rating on Image optimization.

Like a lot of bugs I've found, they seem to resolve them quietly. I'd say this is no longer an issue. Althought they still don't provide an option for progressive JPEGs.

1 Like
Highlighted

Good to know. Thank you, Jordan L !

WWW.COLORADDICTED.COM
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
695 0 15

Kraken42, 

thanks thats very kind of you to say, but you aren't actually seeing the images I'm am referring to on my site, or rather only some. The ones affected have been edited within an inch of their lives, or are older ones are not affected.

Jordan L, my issue is with appearance, and I have seeen no change. I have a support Mail open, they are supposed to be coming back with workarounds. 

jewellery designer-maker & nature inspired photographer | West Yorkshire, UK
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
690 0 69

Still an issue (although apparently it's on the roadmap now). September Partners Blog article evangelising image optimization, among other things …

:: https://www.shopify.com/partners/blog/why-drastically-reducing-ttfb-can-mean-better-website-performa...
Why Drastically Reducing TTFB Can Mean Better Website Performance (and More Money for your Ecommerce Clients)
by Marc Schenker, Writer

I'm a million different people
1 Like