Shopify Image Quality Optimization (round 2, with stats, 38% Improvement)

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 6

Hi! No news on this?

0 Likes
Highlighted

As far as I'm concerned, I haven't heard anything from Shopify. Anybody else ?

WWW.COLORADDICTED.COM
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
209 1 106

No idea.

They haven't talked with me saying it's fixed. I'm happily paying imigix to solve this problem for me.

Shopify may have resolved the issue quietly as they're not usually ones to publish when they resolve long standing issues I've found.

I haven't retested lately as I enjoy the flexibility of using imigix.

1 Like
Highlighted
Explorer
258 0 22

Don't all the new options for img_url (progressive etc) address this or is it that the source image is too comprimised when uploading?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
209 1 106

Looks like they've updated img_url with new filters and size options.

Nothing about quality but if they've picked same defaults it might be ok now.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

@Jordan L - I am Manu Chaudhary, co-founder of ImageKit.io (https://imagekit.io). There is still 30 to 40 percent scope of optimization in images on your store (https://www.harempants.com)

@COLORADDICTED.COM - Is your problem solved. Do you need help with image optimization?

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Manu Chaudhary - I'm OK Manu. Thank you for asking 

WWW.COLORADDICTED.COM
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

@WWW.COLORADDICTED.COM - Great. In case you do want to speed up your store, it's very easy.

We have published a blog post on ImageKit.io and Shopify integration with easy to replicate steps. Now store owners can themselves integrate ImageKit.io in their shopify store and get instant benefits.

ImageKit will automatically serve the same images in less bandwidth, hence the increased speed. This will ultimately increase conversion on your store.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 1

Very interesting topic. As a developer I have also been looking into this area.

why not combine the efforts with a simple lazy load technique, so images won't download before they come into the viewport, aka the users' visible area on the screen? It's a simple fix and I'd be happy to help you out.

best regards

Ole

NEW: Shopify App for Custom Fields - Accentuate
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Wow. I've just launched my first shopify site and can't believe this image compression situation. All my carefully compressed images are significantly larger and the site is scoring terribly on the Google PageSpeed Insights.

On a related note, I'm also surprised there is little option for serving alternate content for mobile. It's so easy in Joomla and Wordpress and straight html. I posted another thread about wanting to have two slideshows that I could control on and off with @media css and heard crickets.

I like much of Shopify, but the image issue is enough to make me seriously doubt using for future sites.

0 Likes