Shopify Order Notes not going through.

cpeters0321
Tourist
5 0 4

When our customers leave "notes" in the order notes section on the Cart page, the content does not actually get sent to us.  No notes come through. How do we resolve this? They use to work just fine. 

Any help is very appreciated!

Dana

Replies 24 (24)

Dallas
Shopify Staff (Retired)
916 61 211
Hi, there. 

Dallas here from the Shopify Social Care Team. 

I'd love to be able to help you with this, but it'll require a bit more information so I can gather the right context. When you say that none of the order notes are coming was it just from one customer that you heard this or were there multiple customers that complained?

Did you try to go through your check out and put in an order with order notes yourself to see what happened? When did you first start noticing this? 

Can you also share your store URL so I can take a look at your checkout?

With all of these details, I'd love to see what I can do to help solve this problem.

I'll await your response. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

cpeters0321
Tourist
5 0 4

Hi Dallas,

It was a complaint from numerous customers that the notes they put in were not reflected in the orders they received. When we looked back at their orders, there were no notes on our end. 

Also, we did do several test orders on our end to verify, and all of the order notes did not go through. 

The site URL is the following: https://milspin.com/

Please let me know what else you might need! I really appreciate you looking into this!

Dana

Dallas
Shopify Staff (Retired)
916 61 211

Thanks for sending all of this over. I got a member of my team to take a look at this as well. They were able to see cart notes at the bottom of the cart, but then they were wondering if you were wanting to see them in the order printout or in the order confirmation notification? 

With a bit of clarification, we may be able to see if we can find an easy solution. 

I look forward to hearing back from you,

cpeters0321
Tourist
5 0 4

Yes, we need to be able to see the notes in the order summary. So for example, a customer places an order, then we go to click on the order in the shopify dashboard, we need to be able to see what they wrote in the notes area. 

Here is what we've discovered... If a customer writes a note on the cart page, then clicks "checkout", no note will appear on our end. BUT, if the customer writes a note on the cart page, then clicks "update", then clicks "checkout", we will see the note. It never use to be like that though.

Dana

Dallas
Shopify Staff (Retired)
916 61 211

Thank you so much! I've reached out to our themes team and they asked for me to send this up so that they can take a closer look. I've gone ahead and sent an email to the account associated with this forums account. 

If that is the email that is the account owner for this store please just reply back. However, if it is another email please CC them to the email thread and get then to reply to the email. That will allow me to verify your account and then from there, I can send it up to the themes team. 

Please look out for that email. I look forward to hearing from you. 

choccywoccydood
Tourist
10 0 2

We are having the same problem - did you get a solution? 

Thanks for any help you can give - we're having a nightmare with this.

cpeters0321
Tourist
5 0 4
We have not found a solution yet. However, we identified that if the
customer types a note AND clicks the "submit" button, the note does go
through.

We put a small caption saying to remember to hit that button. It is not a
great fix, but it's better than nothing
HazelChorney
Excursionist
15 0 2

Did you ever find a better solution for this?

Arun_Kumar
Shopify Partner
102 12 26

Anyone on this, 
did you guys find out any appropriate solution other than the Submit Button ??

If you think my solution is good, then please Like and Accept the Solution.
Happy To Help You 🙂
cpeters0321
Tourist
5 0 4
No we have not. We are at the mercy of Shopify at this point
HazelChorney
Excursionist
15 0 2

Nope 😞 I reached out to Shopify support about it and they had no response to the issue. Very frustrating. 

Sundial_Wire
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

We are having the same problem with the notes not going through.  But we don't have a workaround because we don't have an update button.  I am going to have to put a message on the cart page to tell customers to put the information in the notes, in case it starts working, but to also email the notes to us.

When I called Shopify to report this error they told me it was unique to me, then I found this thread and they said they'd escalate it.  It might help if others who are seeing this problem called Shopify so that they are more aware that it isn't just one store having the problem.

I don't know if it's related, but the Calculate Shipping feature on my cart page is also not working.  I put in the zip-code and hit Calculate and nothing happens.  

For reference, the store is sundialwire.com.

Kimberly_Hansen
Tourist
3 0 1

Having the same issue so it definitely is not unique to anyone. Ridiculous that we pay all of this monthly to Shopify and I continue to have issues like these that do not get fixed. You guys really need to get it together

Nicola_Hudson
Tourist
4 0 2

Also having this issue. I have adding in the "languages" section (cart) that customers need to click "update cart" to save the note. It's frustrating, and it "used" to work without having to update cart.

Arun_Kumar
Shopify Partner
102 12 26

I was also having the same problem, talked to support regarding the same but they said it should work on your site too as it is working on other sites and the person who was chatting said he is not so technical and only can escalate this issue to further team. Then i have to add the ajax to get rid of this problem. 
Either you can use Keyup function or you can use the focus function of jquery, so that when focus is changed, the ajax can update the cart note.
You can follow this link to get some help.

Happy To Help You 🙂
KristenDScott
Excursionist
33 1 47

I just opened my Shopify website (after having one on Network Solutions for over 10 years). I thought the Notes thing would be a good solution, but now I'm seeing that some customers' notes are not making it through to the order I get in my dashboard. That is weird! And not helpful, because I'm already asking them to indicate when they'll pick up, or meet us at our drop off points. Any update to this?

JHeather
Visitor
1 0 0

I see the last update on this thread is from April 2020 but we're having this problem with a new collection now, in September. We are not seeing any notes from customers. Any updates/solutions other than asking our customers to 'update'? Thanks much-

Arun_Kumar
Shopify Partner
102 12 26

@JHeather 

I have tried it almost a year and at that time, it worked like charm.
You can give a try.

Here are the steps you can follow
- Create a dummy checkout button on the cart  page, hide or remove the present checkout button.
- Then on the newly created checkout button, add ajax and in that ajax, you can first click the update notes button using ajax and after 2 seconds you can redirect the customer to the checkout page. 

Give it a  try, 
Good Luck

Happy To Help You 🙂
healthypenguin
Visitor
2 0 1

Has anyone fixed this yet?? we've had SOOO MANY customers in the past couple of years swear they have written order notes, both mobile and desktop and the notes don't stick. They receive the wrong order, and then we lose returning customers. This is pretty ridiculous.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6275 574 1324

@healthypenguin wrote:

Has anyone fixed this yet??

There is not always a single fix for problem like this there are too many factors, the theme, any customizations, any apps being used,etc.

It's important to provide relevant details , store url, example product url, theme name, clear reproducible steps that show the problem, etc.

Some checks merchants can do:

• If you've made any changes to your theme make sure the note field is inside the /cart template liquid form tag ({% form ...%}....{%endform%}
  • View the source of your cart page and make sure the Note field is then also still inside the HTML form tag( <form>...</form>)
  • Test if the Note field works when JavaScript is disabled in the browser
  • test the cart checkout with a completely different free theme that comes with a note field.
  • advanced - for chrome browser open devtools(F12) and see if there are any console errors (https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/javascript)

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

KenBot
Tourist
7 1 0

This is still happening (Jan2024)

but this got me thinking. The update cart action does have the browser send a json object with the note but the checkout button does not, so in template.cart I’ve added a note to both mobile and desktop divs to use the button. Now I have to find the code section that controls the behavior of the checkout button to also act like an update before next step. Current apps in my store that are required are not Ajax friendly. 

diana-ac
Visitor
2 0 8

Hi - Has anyone found a solution to this issue? It's 2022 and I'm experiencing the same issue!

morphing-eco
Visitor
3 0 0

It doesn't look like they have found a solution. Super frustrating. 

cHaus
Visitor
1 0 2

I had this issue too.  It comes down to the theme.  The Cart page is a fully customizable page, so it's up to the theme to 1. include functionality to show the Notes field and 2. include functionality to save it.  My theme had not done #2.  When I reached out to them, they fixed the issue by adding some javascript that handles saving it immediately once it has been changed on the page.  So if you are using a pre-built theme and you're pretty certain that you haven't been dabbling in the files and breaking things, you should reach out to them for support.