Shopify Payments for Business Account

DLT
1 0 0

We are getting ready to launch a new business site that was built in Shopify.  The only thing holding us back right now is that the company is asking me to put my social security number in in order to verify identity for Shopify Payments.  This site is owned by our corporation - not by me.  Is there another way to set this up with our corporate EIN?  I am definitely not comfortable putting my social security number in as it has nothing to do with the site.

0 Likes
Hilary
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
84 24 12

Hi, @DLT!

Welcome to the Shopify Community. I'm afraid this request is not be possible as the SSN is required, even if you have an EIN for your business. This is part of our verification process for Shopify Payments, and is not avoidable. Typically, the account representative that provides their SSN in these scenarios is a director or someone such as the CEO or COO. We are required by law to report all income to the IRS.

That being said, we can help with adding your EIN to your Shopify Payments account. Once you have finished verifying your Shopify Payments account, if your EIN was not requested, or needs to be updated, we'd be happy to help. Since we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we could assist you with this through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit our support team here and log in to your account to create a support request. 

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Hilary | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes