Shopify Payments gateway has been disabled

2 0 0

We recently just stated with shopify (and spend all our saving to create a website). After a few days of use we received an email that states that we are no longer able to use Shopify payments gateway due selling such as ‘pseudo-pharmaceuticals’ products. We were not aware that they contain such as substances as the products are sold elsewhere in UK. 

This is very disappointing how we were treated by Shopify  instead a warning message to say to delete these products we were just deleted and said we need to look for different payment gateway.

However, the reason we decided to go with Shopify was easy access to payments methods such as google pay, apple pay - no I dont see a reason why we should keep the web as I dont want to return to the old way of processing the payments. 

This is such a disappointing experience and terrible customer service. There is no way to contact the rep only live chat that isn't a chat, just automatic system. 

I wish I have never gone with Shopify and definitely NOT going to recommend this web to the other people! 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1841 110 400

Hi, @SCS

I can appreciate why being removed from Shopify Payments would discourage you from using Shopify, especially after investing so much time, and money into designing your store. I'm also sorry to hear that you've not had a great experience with our support; these types of issues can be difficult for our general support teams to handle as only our Risk team is able to provide insight into the issue. While that's not an excuse for poor customer support, I do hope it provides a bit of insight into why you may have found it hard to find the answers you were after. 

Pseudo-pharmaceuticals are a very strict product line that we can not support through Shopify Payments for a number of reasons, but mainly due to the high risk of fines that will be imposed on Shopify & you, as the business owner, should the transactions be audited. For this reason, we can not allow the products to be removed and will result in the Shopify Payments account being disabled for the store. I know this isn't ideal; however, it is the responsibility of the business owner to review the Shopify Payments Terms of Service to ensure their product(s) align with our policies. Should business owners have any questions about whether or not they adhere to our policies, then they will need to discuss that with their own legal counsel as Shopify can not provide legal advice. 

While you may not be able to use Shopify Payments, you do still have access to a number of payment providers for the United Kingdom as you're welcome to continue using Shopify for your business. You can view a full list of payment providers for the UK here. While I do not know which payment provider would be the best one for your business, I do know that you can consider eMerchantBroker (EMB) or Authorize.net as both are known to be high-risk payment providers. You can set up a new payment provider by going to Settings/Payment Providers. While Google Pay is only offered via Shopify Payments, you can still enable Apple Pay if you enable one of the following payment providers: 

• Stripe
  • First Data Payeezy
  • Authorize.net
  • CyberSource

You'll also have access to Amazon Pay, another accelerated checkout option. You can find more information on Amazon Pay here

If you need help setting up a new payment provider, have any questions, or would like to add additional feedback to what you've already provided, please let me know! 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes