Shopify Rates Require Dimensions to Calculate Shipping, but theres nowhere to set dimensions?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
9 1 0

I'm trying to configure shipping rates for products, I was recommended by Shopify to enable the Carrier rates feature which uses weight and dimensions, however it looks like theres nowhere to set product dimensions (other than the default dimensions)?

How are people calculating their shipping rates on stores with multiple products, multiple parcel sizes, and weights?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 1 2

You could ask the supplier for the dimensions, or perhaps they have the details already listed somewhere for you to use. I use Printful and it took me a while to work out where the information was, but it's all very clear and useful. Unfortunately I can't help in regards to finding the right way to edit dimensions.

Personally I don't even worry about any of that and try to offer free shipping for all deliveries - first for my own sanity and secondly so customers know in advance what shipping will be up-front and have no nasty surprises at the checkout.

I build the shipping cost into the list price. So for example a phone case I would have a small markup because shipping won't be much ($2), but a Hoodie for example would be higher ($6-8). Factor in taxes and try to make sure you're at least making a small profit.. Shipping cost will go down if they order multiple things, so having a $ value limit for free shipping could assist. Try to go for light-weight and non bulky items where you can, so you don't have any nasty surprises.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 1 0

I have the dimensions, but the issue is that shopify doesn't facilitate the ability to enter those dimensions into the store (unless I'm mistaken).

I'll definitely take on your suggestion about free shipping its an idea we have been thinking about!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 1 2

Now that I think on it more, I don't understand how Shopify are even involved in this. Shouldn't this all be information only the company shipping stock needs? Who is that?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

We ship the stock, and Shopify calculates the rates, as Shopify doesn't have correct dimensions it can miscalculate the rates, ie putting two lightweight but large items, and thinking it can be shipped in a single box, therefore we lose out on shipping.

FWIW we have managed to use a weight only based solution for calculating rates for now.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @megansns@Richy1,

If you're open to it, I encourage you to try out Smart Boxing. It offers exactly what you're looking for. We just submitted it to the app store today so the app page isn't live in the store just yet, but you can get an idea of what to expect from our tech and support team by checking out Intuitive Shipping

Here is a direct install link. It's free to install and configure, and you get a 14-day live trial once you activate billing. 

The only caveat is that for all third-party shipping apps, Shopify requires merchants on the Basic or Shopify plan to pay $20/mo to flip a switch in the backend of your store that lets your store "talk" to the shipping app. You can switch to annual billing which gives you the feature for free and also saves you 10% on your Shopify subscription (all of our users do this). Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do as a developer to convince Shopify to remove this barrier.

If you give us a try, please reach out to support@intuitiveshipping.com and let Joel and Levi know what you think of the app! They would love to hear your feedback  

Warm regards,
Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping
Execute a strategic approach to shipping | Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes