Shopify Spam Customer Accounts with Real Email Addresses

Excursionist
21 0 6

Did Shopify find a remedy for this? Just curious, because I haven't had any spam accounts set up or email bounce notices since about 2am this morning. 

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 11

I've had 5 more today, even after adding Shop Protector. So I assume not. :/

1 Like
Tourist
12 0 11

@Dori_H wrote:

Did Shopify find a remedy for this? Just curious, because I haven't had any spam accounts set up or email bounce notices since about 2am this morning. 

No - not fixed - still getting them as we speak unfortunately

1 Like
Explorer
62 1 24

@Dori_H wrote:

Doubtful.  Some days they aren't as rampant as others.  The Shop Protector app has appeared to stop the accounts from being created for me though, nothing in 24 hrs, but am still getting comments from the same "xyasfhsdybj" names that were setting up accounts.  I've received no response from Shop Protector in regards to stopping these, so I likely will be removing the app before the trial period if I can't get these blocked as well.

1 Like
Excursionist
21 0 6

Yes, I spoke too soon. I just got a new account from "IKrjvtdqSZR vempNsbD".  So irritating! 

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 11

I'm sorry but protection from fraud spam attacks should be part of the core product. 

3 Likes
Explorer
62 1 24

@LisaR72 wrote:

I'm sorry but protection from fraud spam attacks should be part of the core product. 

That's one of the negatives of Shopify, they focus more on looks than they do functionality and expect their customers to patch up functionality with apps that they get an commission on, so it's to their financial benefit not to fix a lot of things or give you basic functions most other platforms give you.  I wouldn't mind that so much if they didn't charge a monthly fee for what little they give you (or at the very least don't charge a % of sales on top of the monthly fee...).  If you've been here for many years like I have eventually you get used to it, and learn to make your own workarounds so you don't have to spend more money on apps.  I tried moving a year ago but I will say Shopify's integrated blog and internal search features are way better than their competition, both are really important to me so that's why I've stayed and put up with their periodic screw-ups.

4 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 1 0

Joining the list of shops with this problem. My sign-ups are all coming from IPs in the US. I spoke to customer service about this last night, and their recommendation was to change to a different newsletter app. Well, today I have more because they're coming through the customer account creation like others have said. They're showing up as I'm deleting them, and one had even stolen a police department email address.

Has anyone tried disabling customer account creation and having all checkouts happen as guest? If you have an established store, this sounds extreme, but mine is just starting and it's not worth it to me to pay $5/month for a security app so that customers can create accounts.

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 6

I have the same issue and have also discussed it with Shopify support and was informed that it was to be expected as it is an industry wide problem.  Not very helpful really, I have been thinking about using one of the available apps but I can see from this thread they have mixed results.  I will continue to follow to see what the resolution is from Shopify. 

1 Like
Tourist
9 0 12

4 days since I installed Shop Protector and I haven't seen a bogus account, so that's good. I contacted them about the spam comments on my blog. Here's their response:

"Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to Shop Protector support. Unfortunately we do not currently offer blog comment protection however we are working on this feature. Would you like to be added to our list to be notified when we release this feature?"

Of course, I said yes.  Hopefully that will be soon. But I'm happy with the product so far. 

0 Likes