Shopify Spam Customer Accounts with Real Email Addresses

Excursionist
11 0 21

Fellow frustrated Shopify users... Can I suggest that you all contact support (via chat) and complain there, rather than just here? I don't think Shopify really takes much notice of the complaints here. To them it is just a private space where people can vent without their public reputation being damaged.

But if we flood their support people, I think it is more likely this issue will get faster action.

The support people seem to be taking it seriously, but they can't solve it themselves. But if their bosses hear that this is becoming a major topic of their interactions on the support channels, maybe the issue will get more resources thrown at it in the dev team. The chat mechanism is quite quick to do, and you can be doing other work at the same time.  (Reference this thread to the support people too.)

7 Likes
Excursionist
14 0 18

@matmedia wrote:

Fellow frustrated Shopify users... Can I suggest that you all contact support (via chat) and complain there, rather than just here? I don't think Shopify really takes much notice of the complaints here. To them it is just a private space where people can vent without their public reputation being damaged.

But if we flood their support people, I think it is more likely this issue will get faster action.

The support people seem to be taking it seriously, but they can't solve it themselves. But if their bosses hear that this is becoming a major topic of their interactions on the support channels, maybe the issue will get more resources thrown at it in the dev team. The chat mechanism is quite quick to do, and you can be doing other work at the same time.  (Reference this thread to the support people too.)

Trust me - we have been contacting support and getting nowhere - hence trying to get some crowd support here 

4 Likes
Tourist
4 0 4

...same problem here for a couple of days now. Gibberish usernames, "real" mail addresses, some responding with out of office replies.

It's really a pain and would like to get it fixed by shopify directly.

1 Like
Tourist
7 0 4

Same here, running into this problem, and I am hearing from loyal customers that they are not getting my emails.  I'm adding my voice to the number of frustrated users and the incredible lack of response from shopify.  Shopify, want to surprise us with a great customer service reply?  

2 Likes
Explorer
68 1 33

The problem is Shopify has a HORRIBLE traffic filter (if they have one at all), I've been complaining about bogus traffic for years, their analytics isn't worth anything because they don't filter out anything.  I'll be sitting at my computer at times and see my analytics light up with 20 hits all clustered in the same location, clearly Spam bots, meanwhile I'll open up an unfiltered version of my Google Analytics and there's nothing, so Google at least knows they are bogus.  I've opened chats about it countless times about why can't they block this clearly bogus traffic and they either don't care or have no clue how to.

At least then those bots weren't messing with my site, now it seems like daily I'm getting hits from the same locations that just hit my main page 3 or 4 times a day and Spam my comment section of my blogs.  Contacted Shopify about it, their solution (as it always is) is to recommend an app.  So I just disabled comments.  Even though all this spam is coming from US IPs, I'm still wondering if it's not related to the uptick in Chinese traffic I'm getting.  Traffic from China (according to Shopify analytics) is always my second highest location.  Today alone I almost have more hits from China than the US... I think it's related because both the Spam comments /accounts and China traffic showed up around the same time.

5 Likes
Tourist
7 0 10

Yep we too, paying for Shop Protector and it doesn't seem to be have been working over the weekend

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 10

Hi, I've just set up Shop Protector but still getting them through. I will be turning off our accounts again and get customers to check out as Guests. This platform is starting to be questionable.

2 Likes
Tourist
7 0 10

Agree, we never had this many before, one or two but since the middle of October a lot. I think something has happened and they are hiding the fact, why would this topic on the forum have grown so much if it wasn't a problem

2 Likes
Tourist
7 0 10

So I thought maybe they won't take this feed seriously unless we call them an let them know so I've just done that and the lady I spoke to she's going to escalate it with the amount of affected people. Let's hope fingers crossed.  

5 Likes
Tourist
9 0 10

I'm not sure why but through nothing I did the fake accounts suddenly stopped in my store about a week ago. I guess the spammers move on to new territories.

0 Likes