Shopify Spam Customer Accounts with Real Email Addresses

Excursionist
13 0 16

I am glad that the spammers have moved on from your store, I hope it means that there is a fix being rolled out.  At present I still have ongoing problems and no communicated solution from Shopify.

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 10

Just following up on my last post to let y'all know we sent a detailed email to support about this - I think the users' point here that if we don't call, and email, shopify may not be seeing what is going on on the forums was a good one. So, I hope anyone who is having issues with this will also take the time to directly contact support. :)

1 Like
Tourist
8 0 14

Just a reminder to all who have added Shop Protector  and still having problems.  I had the same situation when I first installed.  I contacted their support and they quickly responded and found a hidden form I did not know about.  They protected it, and since I have not had problems. 

For everyone who has called or emailed support - Thank You!  I did the same, and insisted that they escalate, but it is very difficult to tell if anyone is listening. 

2 Likes
Pathfinder
101 1 20

I've had this issue since I moved to Shopify almost 2 years ago. Most of the bot activity was through the newsletter form and even though I had double opt-in with Mailchimp, Shopify was not allowing this feature and I was not able to embed my own form. I hear there are workarounds but I wasn't able to figure out and had to REMOVE my newsletter form and use an app. Very frustrating. I AM SO Tired of Shopify telling me to get a app. 

At this point I am again looking for a way to enable double opt in with the newsletter form so that I can use it again...but without adding a bulky or 'deeply integrated app' newsletter app. 

I am also concerned about my email reputation from customer sign ups as expressed here. I am now getting multiple bot sign ups daily and wasn't too concerned because they are easy to recognize and delete - and the emails are clearly bogus - but could this still be affected my email reputation? perhaps one way is to create a new email address just for my shop. Would that help?

Thanks for any help!

1 Like
Excursionist
16 0 21

Keep contacting support and complaining. They make it sound like an API issue and it is designed to be that way. So how would an app stop the API signups? Shopify, here is a hint, it wont.

From my recent chat support:

technical have some back with the following suggestions- you can set a store password, but this is not an ideal option, or you can require a customer account for checkout but again this sin't ideal and doesn't stop the bots from getting through. Unfortunately, the only way to stop the bots from signing up is to use an app. Shopify has an open API on the storefront that allows for the creation of customer accounts to support functions like newsletter signups. It's fully intended to work this way, however the way it works also allows bots to freely create accounts. Developers are working on a means of preventing these bot signups but as with all bots they are typically disguised as, or are actually using, normal browser traffic.

Fine Art Landscapes - Sawusch Photography - USScenics.com
1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 16

@Steve82 

Thanks for the update, it is frustrating to see that the first 2 options are not only not ideal but are in fact fairly useless if you actually want to have customers use your store, the 3rd option about using an app just seems like a brush off.  In my opinion we should not have to result to using 3rd party apps for something which should be part of the core, fair enough if we want increased functionality or a specific need met then we may have to pay more to use additional apps.  I hope the developers do view this as a serious issue that needs addressing.

1 Like
Tourist
9 0 10

@MJC wrote:

I am glad that the spammers have moved on from your store, I hope it means that there is a fix being rolled out.  At present I still have ongoing problems and no communicated solution from Shopify.

I spoke too soon. Got one today.

I've decided on something that might at least help with the complaints about spam. I inserted the following into my account welcome email:

<p> If you did not sign up for this account our apologies. Online stores have been experiencing a flood of bogus account sign ups using nonsense names and real email accounts. The motives of those creating these accounts are not clear but we suggest you change your email password </p>

1 Like
Pathfinder
101 1 20

Okay, shoot. I didn't realize the email addresses were real. 

Online stores have been experiencing a flood of bogus account sign ups using nonsense names and real email accounts.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
10 0 8

Whats the link to contact Shopify support, please. On their website, one goes in circles.

Thanks

Grant

0 Likes