Shopify Spam Customer Accounts with Real Email Addresses

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 8

I have contacted them several times and they keep on saying that they have fixed the newsletter.

I ask them to protect the "Create an Account" form which is the form I am having the fake accounts being made and they again say they have fixed the newsletter form.

It seems that BOTH Shopify and Shop protect are not listening!!

2 Likes
Tourist
4 0 4

@breakfastat_t wrote:

I have contacted them several times and they keep on saying that they have fixed the newsletter.

I ask them to protect the "Create an Account" form which is the form I am having the fake accounts being made and they again say they have fixed the newsletter form.

It seems that BOTH Shopify and Shop protect are not listening!!

We’re still experiencing the same problem, receiving a couple of fake accounts with (seemingly) valid mail addresses per day via the “create an account” form.

Not happy at all…

2 Likes
Excursionist
12 0 3

I will add myself to this list. Too many to mention of fake accounts being created, with real email addresses and bogus names. I am inundated with replies from the Shopify 'Thanks for creating an account' email (which i believe cannot be disabled). Just ridiculous. Genuine people out there now think WE are the ones spamming them. This is very damaging. I had one email title HACKER. To read this alone is very worrying. SHOPIFY SORT THIS OUT. I have been a Shopify customer for 5 years with multiple sites and never have i experienced anything like this to such a level. Something is wrong and needs fixing. In the short term at least disable the account email so customers don't think its us who is spamming, give us the time to delete the fake accounts. 

Does anyone know if Shopify have put a statement out or anything on social media like Twitter?

3 Likes
Excursionist
13 0 42

If Shopify cared at all about their customer base then they would have fixed this problem overnight. If an app like Shop Protector can sort out the fake account problem (blog comments not included) then why can't Shopify do it?

At the very least they could disable the account notification email functionality as many, many people have suggested in this forum.

Or even better, maybe offer to reimburse the $4.99 monthly subscription fee cutomers such as myself who downloaded Shop Protector now have to pay to solve this issue just to protect my brand and avoid being labelled a spammer.

Shopify know about this  problem, yet apparently choose to do nothing about it - shameful!

6 Likes
Tourist
12 0 15

Yeah, the sign ups are coming from 'hidden form/s' within Shopify. Someone else said the same. I discovered this after removing (via theme support) the CREATE ACCOUNT page from my store and hid the newsletter sign up from my homepage, that bots were still signing up. I then asked theme support to reinstall the page and add extra fields in my CREATE ACCOUNT page with "EMAIL, FIRST NAME, LAST NAME, PASSWORD & finally CONFORM PASSWORD and the fields also had a REQUIRED/* with "Please fill out this field" that shows when you hover over each field. STILL NO LUCK....my next move it to add a reCaptcha checkbox directly above the CREATE/CANCEL button instead of having the reCaptcha on a new page. I hope this works. I think if the problem is internal then other apps will only be a "bandage" fix it and the problem will continue!!! Someone else mentioned SHOP PROTECTOR were able to identify the 'hidden form' and the bots have stopped. I'll use SHOP PROTECTOR if my final step doesn't work. Meanwhile, I sent a long email to Shopify Support and attached this community topic discussion. Hope they respond and or add to the MANY complaints :-) and help everyone out!! Hope this is helpful.

2 Likes
Excursionist
14 0 18

Shop Protector worked for me after their support made a tweak or two. But still - should be part of the core product. 

I asked on twitter - @shopifysupport - will post back if I get a reply. 

2 Likes
Excursionist
14 0 18

Support says they're aware and working on a fix, but it could take a long time. 

0 Likes
Excursionist
14 0 18

Support has advised that the more shops they know are affected, the more resources they can apply to the fix. So I urge everyone to contact them. @shopifysupport on Twitter worked well - you can DM your shop name to them. 

1 Like
Excursionist
12 0 3

I did this on twitter earlier too! No solution but vented my frustration!

0 Likes
Excursionist
13 0 42

@LisaR72 wrote:

Support has advised that the more shops they know are affected, the more resources they can apply to the fix. So I urge everyone to contact them. @shopifysupport on Twitter worked well - you can DM your shop name to them. 

Surely EVERY Shopify shop is potentially affected?

It's just a case of whether shopify customers have noticed & bothered to do anything about it.

3 Likes