Shopify Spam Customer Accounts with Real Email Addresses

Tourist
6 0 1

I am getting these too. The same kinds of accounts also make random blog comments, which are just a string of nonsense letters.

I keep marking them all as spam then deleting them. It didn't occur to me that they are getting auto email responses from me, which is a worry.

1 Like
Explorer
61 1 12

Hi @Joanne_T   I don't think the system generates email messages as replies to blog comments. (Note that the comments form does not ask for their consent for marketing or email correspondence, so, in the EU countries at least, there isn't permission to contact them, in principle?) But, they will see a response on the screen after their submission, thanking them, etc.

There seems to be a Shopify filter at work when we've tested blog comments with email addresses that don't exist. It says on screen that the email address is not acceptable (or something to that effect), but then still it allows submission of the comment for moderation. So, this may be an example of another sloppy bit of coding or just the filter not doing its job very well, not sure.  Any Shopify staff here, who may be of help, please?

@Joanne_T wrote:

I am getting these too. The same kinds of accounts also make random blog comments, which are just a string of nonsense letters.

I keep marking them all as spam then deleting them. It didn't occur to me that they are getting auto email responses from me, which is a worry.

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 4

I've been following this discussion since I started getting the dreaded Spambot issue with both my blog pages and the customer sign up form. I managed to get rid of the spam comments on the blog by simply disabling comments. For the fake customer sign ups, all I could do was continually delete the fake customers from the list. Very irritating and time consuming. After reading that others had requested a Captcha be added to the customer sign up form, I did the same. Just contacted Shopify customer service and they immediately added one. Whether or not this will help, I don't yet know. But it's worth a try, and they responded very quickly to my request. They are also going to implement "enable beta flag and apply Captcha on all customer accounts created via the storefront". Not sure exactly what that is or what it will do, but at least they have acknowledged the problem and are trying to help.

3 Likes
Tourist
8 0 3

Is the recaptcha visible on your contact form? I contacted Shopify via support and their twitter and in the first instance all they wanted me to do was install shop protector and via the support on Twitter they said they installed a recaptcha however it looks like they were telling fibs as we are still getting fake accounts and the recaptcha does not seem to show or work on our sign up form. Contacted them again yesterday and again they recommended using a paid app. We are probably now going to move to bigcommerce as the sign up forms etc are protected with recaptcha. Cant afford for our domain to be blocked as we have already had rejection emails from Yahoo regarding spam.

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 4

Yes, the reCaptcha does show up on my customer account sign up form, after the 'Create account' details, and before they can press 'Submit'.

As far as I can see, there is no Captcha on my contact form, but in  my case this does not seem to be the bots way of getting in, so I may be OK without one there.

But since Shopify support did whatever they did yesterday, I have had no fake sign ups at all (they were arriving all the time). I think they were only arriving via the customer account section. Now that I've said that, I'll probably start getting the fakes back again.

They had also suggested various paid apps to me, but I just ignored that, and asked them to sort it out if they could. And so far, so good. Might be worth having another go at getting them to add the relevant Captcha's. Can't do any harm, and might just work. Good luck!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
18 0 18

Update from myself,

I have the recaptcha form on my customer account create page installed by Shopify and I am still getting between 5 and 10 spam customers a day, I also use the improved contact form which I found in the app store.  Although this is a  free app I do not get any spam through it, I also find the developer  to be responsive and helpful when asked and would recommend it.  I do not have any patience with Shopify support telling me or others to install an app in the first instance for an issue they should resolve themselves, especially one with documented issues and mixed results.  I do however understand people frustrations and wanting to move to other platforms and this is certainly something I am considering but taking the view "that the grass is always greener" I will probably set up a trial store and run this alongside my shopify one to find any potential hidden problems before jumping ship.  Has anyone got any firm updates?

0 Likes
Excursionist
13 0 16

@SUAF I just read your message. If you are able to go back a few thread you'll see my VERY INTERESTING findings and my decision to move to BigCommerce. 

@SUAF @TakTogLon 

@Smeelah 

Here's MY BigCommerce migration UPDATE!!! - I've been slowing migrating my store across while it's still LIVE on Shopify (so I can still do business). 

1. So after filling in a "Request a Demo" form on BC I was assigned to a local go to BC account contact (Sydney, Australia)

2. Spoke to contact, exchanged lots of emails with lots of questions from me and lots of answers and very helpful links and awesome step by step videos from migration to setting up etc.

3. Used a FREE app "Bigcommerce Catalog Transfer" - I was so nervous about this...took me a few days to actually do it...but surprisingly it was so easy, fast and smooth. My next big challenge was transferring my lovely REVIEWS across. I tried another free BC suggested app "Product Review Importer & Exporter" but this was useless (don't use it!!). In the end I went with my current free JUDGE.ME review app. I told them what I was doing and they were sooo good. They helped me migrate my reviews :-)!!! 

4. As I was aware (during my months of research) BC had EXCEPTIONAL security services for their merchants and so I was even more BLOWN AWAY at the beginning (and still am) of my setting up of my store....OMG...it's so impressive!!!  E.g....the CREATE ACCOUNT page has 13 fields with 10 required fields!!! At the start of my Shopify bots signing up, I asked Shopify gurus if something similar could be done and I was told no! According to a random BC store owner (please see my previous posts for back story)  she said she's had No (ZERO) bot creating an account! Just as I thought...of course they can't too many real fields they will need in order to create an account!!! And of course VERY IMPORTANTLY this is a single page form with a reCaptcha!! BC contact forms has the same thing with less required form information. 

5. I was able to even set up PASSWORD requirement for my customers...e.g...must have a capital letter, a number, etc...I WAS SO IMPRESSED!!!

6. If I required an app person e.g. JUDGE.ME person to access my store and help me, I was able to ONLY give them access of that exact back end section, and I can also see LOGS of when (date/time) they accessed my site. :-)!!!! SO SECURE...it's unbelievable!!!

7. BC support staff are pretty good too...I don't get asked to supply any privacy details at the start of LIVE CHATS as there's a secure field to fill out and then include a STORE SUPPORT PIN (only visible to the owner of the store!!) and the support staff can just get on with their job. Also transcripts are immediately emailed with times (mins & secs). I remember a time I didn't even get a transcript from a Shopify guru :-(. I believe (??) and from what I've read, support staff are told not to deal with coding but they have pointed me to links and especially directed me to contact the theme developers for theme coding etc. I am currently in conversation with the theme developers for some specific coding additions.

8. I was a bit surprised BC didn't have a lot of apps but then discovered it was not needed....4 out of 5 of my current Shopify store apps (currency converter, form builder, IGfeed & Product reviews) are already built in to this theme (FREE - VAULT) I'm using and all the other FREE and paid themes that I checked out. Less apps on your store means a smoother running of your store!!

I hope you guys find my findings helpful. 

SO FAR SO GOOD and I'm so pleased I am making the move. I'll keep you guys up to date as promised.

2 Likes
Excursionist
14 0 33

We've noticed a significant reduction in the number of SPAM sign-ups we have been receiving over the last 4 days. We were getting up to 25 per day at one point. 

We're only getting them on one store now, instead of all of them. Shopify must have done something that didn't involve conceding that there was an issue.

0 Likes
Explorer
61 1 12

Shopify and apps! What can I say ...

Hope this is not the free contact form app that we used!?

The one we had was useless --- and, it may have corrupted some code somewhere!  Shopify is still looking for a fix.

@MJC wrote:

I also use the improved contact form which I found in the app store.  Although this is a  free app I do not get any spam through it, I also find the developer  to be responsive and helpful when asked and would recommend it. 

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 3

Many thanks for all the info. I started a trial last week with bigcommerce and although reluctant to move from Shopify my dealings with support yesterday regarding this problem left me thinking why am I paying these guys. I will run both stores for a swap over period and see how things progress but I have to say BC looks promising.

1 Like