Shopify Spam Customer Accounts with Real Email Addresses

Tourist
8 0 3

@Orange-20 Many thanks for the heads up on the catalogue transfer. All done in less than 10 mins :) just need to sort out the categories, it has saved loads of time.

1 Like
1 0 0

I have been getting about 5 spam customers a day for the past week or so. I noticed they are all tagged with `cleaned-email-spam-protect`. Also, I have the captcha on account sign up (which is just the simple checkbox and i'm sure can be easily bypassed). I am a software engineer, so I was curious if there is a way to automate signing up for accounts by just using the https endpoints. Did a bit of research and playing around, but would need more time. Hope is that if I can figure out how they are doing this, we can figure out a work around. I may try using selenium to drive the website, and see if that works. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 7.48.05 AM.png

0 Likes
Excursionist
18 0 18

@TakTogLon wrote:

Shopify and apps! What can I say ...

Hope this is not the free contact form app that we used!?

The one we had was useless --- and, it may have corrupted some code somewhere!  Shopify is still looking for a fix.

@MJC wrote:

I also use the improved contact form which I found in the app store.  Although this is a  free app I do not get any spam through it, I also find the developer  to be responsive and helpful when asked and would recommend it. 

It was this one 

Improved Contact Form

by Awio

1 Like
Explorer
61 1 12

Thanks @MJC .

No, ours wasn't that one! (Sigh of relief!)

@MJC wrote:

@TakTogLon wrote:

Shopify and apps! What can I say ...

Hope this is not the free contact form app that we used!?

The one we had was useless --- and, it may have corrupted some code somewhere!  Shopify is still looking for a fix.

@MJC wrote:

I also use the improved contact form which I found in the app store.  Although this is a  free app I do not get any spam through it, I also find the developer  to be responsive and helpful when asked and would recommend it. 

It was this one 

Improved Contact Form

by Awio

0 Likes
Explorer
61 1 12

@Quark_E_Noms 

There is published work on dealing with spam and bots; had a brief look for the general principles - the detail requires more expertise: seems from the existing literature that bots are manageable - if one has the intention! So, the question is whether Shopify is motivated to do so? One reason they may be delaying work may be that people usually track where the bots come from and then take action etc - which may not be something Shopify wants to be doing on behalf of their store owners?

If it may help you, here is what came up from a simple search: 

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=make+form+fields+hidden+to+bots&t=ffnt&ia=web

Then did several different searches recently and found lots of different solutions. They do require some understanding of coding - some more than others.

0 Likes
Excursionist
18 0 18

Just on another chat with Shopify support, they suggested I use an app to solve my problems!  Now I am very annoyed!!  I copied in the post about the customers being "cleaned-email-spam-protect" by " QuarkENoms"  I also again stated that many merchants are migrating to Big Commerce, I was informed that they are aware of the problem and my feedback is valuable.  They are talking to technical support about endpoints.

1 Like
Excursionist
19 0 10

I don't want to turn this into a lets go to BC thread as I've invested too much time and resource building my Shopify store.

I tried once more talking to a higher level support who had no resolution other than a captcha and app, said they would look into speaking with engineering who also reiterated that they are aware of the problem and that a captcha should work ...

Please keep in mind this is after showing them the records of customers being created where all you see is jkfdl;asjkf;dlas ureiopqwuiopreqw

I will be making the move to BC the first chance I get.

0 Likes
Excursionist
18 0 18

Just finished with support, they have re enabled captcha which for some reason appeared and then disappeared without warning.  I will continue to monitor the level of spam accounts, the support person did direct me to Google recaptcha which could be implemented on key pages of my site if needed rather then through their backend.

0 Likes
Excursionist
15 0 26

I think we need to be careful  about confusion in this topic , which is about fake Customer Account creations with real stolen email addresses. We need to stay clear that the problem is with the Account Creation Page/Form/ or API .  Not the Contact Page/Form. Whilst there may also be issues with the Contact form,  we just need to stay on track I think about the issue with the fake account creations which is the subject of this topic. Shopify support themselves seem to be getting the issue confused,  and are making suggestions about the contact form rather than focussing on the fake customer account setups and the auto spam that shopify generates in auto-sending Customer Account Welcome emails . This is what  is negatively affecting shop owners reputations with email services. If we get blocked from sending out real emails to real customers  we can kiss our shops and real customers goodbye . We need the Account Creation  page/form ( or the API setup associated) to be fixed ASAP.

5 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
61 1 12

@MJC 

From experience, that tag is used by Seguno. The app 'checks' email addresses and tags them (not sure how reliably?) so that store owner is not charged for sending newsletters or other marketing to spam accounts. Probably other apps use it too.  Nothing to do with safety & security or Shopify's work.

@MJC wrote:

..... the customers being "cleaned-email-spam-protect" by " QuarkENoms" ...

0 Likes