Shopify Spam Customer Accounts with Real Email Addresses

Solved
Highlighted
1 0 0

I had this exact sample problem for over a year and I've found the solution. Go to your blog section in Shopify's backend, and turn off the ability to allow comments on posts. That alone stopped new accounts from being created on my site.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
27 0 35

@KINGRICH Unfortunately turning off comments on posts has no connection to the creation of new accounts, this was just a coincidence of timing on your end.

1 Like
Highlighted
Trailblazer
199 1 34

I haven't read any complaints from past posters on this thread lately. Does that mean captcha worked for you?  Please share!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 27

Yes, the Captcha seems to have worked so far for us.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3

Not working for us had to disable the account creation to stop the spam accounts. Each time we turn it back on they appear again within hours. Shopify support said they installed a recaptcha however there is not one visible on the account creation page where all these fake accounts are created. It would be interesting if some of the users who have posted that the recaptch worked for them if they could post the code for the account sign up form so we could compare.

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 16

I was thinking of trying that option too, but not sure as I have WHOLESALE customers as well as regular customers. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

@Smeelah wrote:

I haven't read any complaints from past posters on this thread lately. Does that mean captcha worked for you?  Please share!

Captcha has worked for me. It is so nice not having emails everyday with bogus account sign ups. I had only had two scam sign ups after joining Shopify as I got onto shopify and got the captcha added before anymore could come through. I was getting up to 15-20 scam account sign ups, per day, on my previous webhosting. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

@SUAF wrote:

Not working for us had to disable the account creation to stop the spam accounts. Each time we turn it back on they appear again within hours. Shopify support said they installed a recaptcha however there is not one visible on the account creation page where all these fake accounts are created. It would be interesting if some of the users who have posted that the recaptch worked for them if they could post the code for the account sign up form so we could compare.

I tried it out once I had the recaptcha added. Once the customer  fills in the details they're asked to then click the submit button  the recaptcha will show on the next stage.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

It's worked for me – so far. 

I had my Shopify store password protected for about 9+ months while I populated content etc behind the scenes, not a single spam account. 

Then I hooked up Klaviyo (still password protected), and the spam accounts arrived that same week. Might have been mad coincidence.

I'm using a 3rd Party theme.

I'm not sure how to pull the code for comparison – if you can guide me I'd be happy to come back here with it.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3

Since my post yesterday TyW from Shopify tinkered with our store and it is now working :) We have now turned back on the customer accounts sign up so hopefully all good now.

0 Likes