Shopify Spam Customer Accounts with Real Email Addresses

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 4

I worked with Shopify support for weeks on this issue. I was told they added the captcha to my account page, but I never saw it during testing either. It wasn't on the account page or the second page. I have a third party theme too, so perhaps that was an issue. Support told me they hadn't seen the captcha work 100% of the time & advised I could hire a programmer to add one for me. 

My fake signups would come in spurts, maybe a dozen one day, then nothing for a week. I finally had a programmer add an actual Google recaptcha to my account page & haven't had any fake signups yet, but it's only been a few days. I had several fake signups right before the captcha was installed. My programmer told me this issue probably would never been 100% fixed. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Community Manager
Community Manager
400 18 385

Based on positive feedback during tests we've enabled this behaviour by default. 

Since this topic is pretty lengthy I am going to be marking this reply as the solution for awareness and blocking new replies.

If you are still encountering issues related to bots however we want to investigate further so please submit a new topic providing as much detail as possible. If you are a Shopify Plus user please contact your Shopify resource if assistance is still required.

If time sensitive support is required however please review our Contact Us page.

Thanks again all for your feedback on this issue!

TyW | Community Manager @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes