Shopify Spam Customer Accounts with Real Email Addresses

Tourist
8 0 16
Just to let you know, I did install the app called "Shop Protector". I did
the normal installation, but the spams did not stop. So I contacted the
tech support (they were very responsive), and they found other forms buried
in my site, and they protected them as well. Since then, I have not had
more spam. So at this point I recommend this app.
3 Likes
2 0 7

Full disclosure, I closed my Shopify store and moved over to Squarespace. I can admit it wasn't very hard for me, I know people have a lot invested in their Shopify stores. I'm not saying at all that other people should switch. But for me, this wasn't going to get cleared up and I didn't have as much invested in the Shopify platform as a lot of businesses do. Hopefully, some sort of solution is developed soon that works for everyone. I did not appreciate getting emails from random people crossing the internet accusing me of spamming them. 

2 Likes
Excursionist
17 0 25

@Julie 

Yesterday, I had an odd result when I clicked on one of the accounts, my browser was kept reloading the page and re logging in. This did not happen once, it happened multiple times when I clicked on a specific account. I am wondering if the spammers are trying to create some kind of hack with a specific call from the gibberish names.

Push on the developers to fix this. I am not sure what the spammers goal is at the moment, but this is an issue you need to address and not me paying someone else monthly.

Fine Art Landscapes - Sawusch Photography - USScenics.com
4 Likes
Excursionist
13 0 42

That is certainly very odd and worrying too.

Yes i'm of the same opinion as yourself - Shopify should be working on a proper and robust fix for this, not asking their customers to pay for yet another App to sort it out. I don't mind paying for apps that add significant bells and whistles to my site, but not for just basic security measures!

9 Likes
Excursionist
12 0 13

Add me to the list of sites with this same problem. At this point 3-4 fake account signups per day. Discovered it after several "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" messages. I guess some of the email addresses used were no good.

1 Like
Tourist
9 0 14

FWIW I reported this issue to Shopify support through the chat, long with a link to this thread. We'll see if it helps light any fires at Shopify.

0 Likes
Excursionist
13 0 42

So I logged into Shopify this morning expecting to see a load of spam customers created over the weekend and not one has appeared! Very odd as I'm usually having to clear out half a dozen a day on average. Not complaining though, just wondering whether something has been changed 'under the hood' from Shopify's end to help prevent spam customer signups (or maybe my shop is so bad even the spam bots are ignoring it now lol)

0 Likes
Excursionist
48 0 10

Hey Shopify

Since this spammy email leak is a known problem for several years, please fix it. Why should I have to buy an app to solve this problem. It should be built in already. 

This problem can undermine the whole platform, especially for those of us who email market. Spammy email addresses kill email marketing effectiveness. 

Rob OBrien

2 Likes
Excursionist
17 0 25

My last spam account was 3 hours ago. One before that was 2 days ago. Maybe their computer was off/program off over the weekend? I have tried to add recaptcha to my theme, but is has not stopped them. There must be a form I am missing. Of course if shopify makes any update to the debut theme, I will not get it since I touched the theme code. Thanks shopify.
Pages I added recaptcha (as a user appears to be successful)

customers/register.liquid
customers/login.liquid
contact.liquid

Fine Art Landscapes - Sawusch Photography - USScenics.com
1 Like
Excursionist
13 0 42

Just checked Customers and found two spam accounts created that must have come in this evening as it was all looking clear this afternoon. Come on Shopify, pull your fingers out and get a fix in place!

1 Like