Shopify Spam Customer Accounts with Real Email Addresses

Explorer
46 0 30

@kmpoaquests 
The capthcha code that they added for me seems to be only on the 'account creation' page after 'create account' is clicked. 
There are no captchas for those checking out as a guest, and if you create an account and check out evidently you will only have to click the 'I am not a robot' once...on the first occasion you check out.

@JRCoburn 
I understand that this captcha doe not solve everyones spam sign up problem. I had it installed about 4 days ago and so far I haven't had any further spam accounts created, so maybe it works for some and not others. It might be dependent on the theme you are using? Shop protector does not seem like a good solution.. considering how it slows the site down... harvest your data.. and cost you money!

2 Likes
Excursionist
13 0 16

Hi all, The captcha form that was added is having little to no benefit on my store, however for reasons already listed I will not be using the "Shop Protector" app and will instead continue to raise my concerns with Shopify.

4 Likes
Explorer
46 0 30

@MJC Good. Yes do. I agree it's not right to ask store owners to use a paid for app  to provide a basic service!
Especially one that harvests your data and slows your store. 

2 Likes
Pathfinder
101 1 20

Hey all, it is my understanding that Shop Protector has now removed the ad tracker from the app...due to the negative response. I no longer see anything slow loading.

I still think that this bot problem should be taken care of by Shopify and because of his whole issue I have lost confidence in Shopify as a long term solution for me.  Yes, I was aware that there were a lot of Shopify apps. I just wasn't aware that I would be told over and over again to add them for basic functions and that he result of having these basic functions would be a slower bloated site with lots of little issues and incompatibilities to diagnose. 

Anyhow, I am happy to have this fix for now. Happy to not be dealing with Captcha. Still dumbfounded that Shopify will not allow us to control our customer notifications when there is a risk of blacklisting etc. 

2 Likes
Excursionist
59 1 11

Hey Smeelah,

One can empathize with your frustration ...

Problems with bots and spam and issues with apps are two separate things:

There seem to be two alternatives for apps: (A) a basic and  inexpensive Shopify service where store owners may add apps that they can afford and (B) a more up market and costly Shopify service that is inclusive of apps.

As to bots and spam:  they only cause irritation and annoyance, as long as the rest of the system is safe.

So, perhaps just put it in perspective and you may be able to deal with the situation better - just an idea?

@Smeelah wrote:

Hey all, it is my understanding that Shop Protector has now removed the ad tracker from the app...due to the negative response. I no longer see anything slow loading.

I still think that this bot problem should be taken care of by Shopify and because of his whole issue I have lost confidence in Shopify as a long term solution for me.  Yes, I was aware that there were a lot of Shopify apps. I just wasn't aware that I would be told over and over again to add them for basic functions and that he result of having these basic functions would be a slower bloated site with lots of little issues and incompatibilities to diagnose. 

Anyhow, I am happy to have this fix for now. Happy to not be dealing with Captcha. Still dumbfounded that Shopify will not allow us to control our customer notifications when there is a risk of blacklisting etc. 

0 Likes
Tourist
13 0 33

It causes more than irritation and annoyance - it has a knock on associated cost for subscriber-number-based CRM services and causes your legitimate system generated emails to be delivered to the SPAM folder,  causing a poorer customer experience than might have otherwise been. It's hard enough to succeed in the digital sphere, striving to stand out through excellent customer service and maintaining a whitehat reputation.

We have to now waste time with our limited workforce, manually removing spam accounts from our CRM system on a daily basis - for 9+ stores, with matching CRM accounts, this takes a significant amount of time.

This is no small issue and isn't easily dismissed. Just because you aren't bothered by the consequences doesn't mean that they aren't significant or worthy of fixing. When you're spending thousands of dollars a month in store subscription and transaction fees, you'd be right to expect a better level of basic security and service.

5 Likes
Explorer
46 0 30

@TalkTogetherLon 

>>As to bots and spam:  they only cause irritation and annoyance, as long as the rest of the system is safe.

So, perhaps just put it in perspective and you may be able to deal with the situation better - just an idea?<<

Looks like you haven't understood the issue. 

3 Likes
Excursionist
59 1 11

Hi @Feemish and @SubstanceUK ,

I'm trying to understand the problem and how it could be resolved. Just pointed out that Shopify's policy regarding apps and the problem with bots are two distinct and separate issues. We are a non-profit and we are concerned about the constant up-selling of apps.  And, at the moment, the thing that worries us about bots is that Shopify is automatically sending account registration acknowledgment email messages to each and every spam account registration by bots. There is no way we can control these. We checked the bot registration email addresses at https://cleantalk.org/email-checker/ and some of these email addresses are either temporary or blacklisted but they do exist - so Shopify will be sending them email messages from our store - which is something we wouldn't like to do because of the reasons you've mentioned, obviously.

Now, since we installed Google's Captcha, the number of spam registrations reduced drastically. And what's happening now is that we're getting - oddly - several registrations from the same address! (Don't ask me how bots can do this, but they do!)

So, we'd like the problem to go away as well. And we've been wondering why Shopify doesn't have something like Akismet of WordPress in place?

1 Like
Explorer
46 0 30

@TalkTogetherLon 

Good to see you  understand it's not just annoyance.. but could have a serious affect on your business. 
If your domain gets reported for sending these spam emails (account created notifications) then you could get blacklisted... meaning your emails go into spam.. or worse.. your emails get denied by servers along the way.

1 Like
Excursionist
59 1 11

Well, what can we do? Write a collective letter to Shopify? Discuss it on social media and raise the issue?

1 Like