Shopify Spam Customer Accounts with Real Email Addresses

Solved
Highlighted
Trailblazer
189 1 31

Hi TalkTogetherLon,

I like the idea of the trick question. I just think that ‘Are you 13 years old’ is such a common question and people don’t tend to read carefully that you might trick actual customers as well.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
20 0 10

Or people who are international and may not know english all that well or people who are just ignorant and click as fast as they can to breeze through the process.

1 Like
Highlighted
Pathfinder
96 1 17

Hi @Smeelah 

The question is:  Are you 13 or older?

It's not a trick question for us, bc our organisation works with families and children. The target group of customers would know that it's about safeguarding children.

We used two versions: radio buttons and drop down answers.

It's not easy to miss or to misunderstand. I think bots are programmed in a certain way so they end up choosing the 'no' option, but won't say more because we don't want to teach them what to do, do we!

TTL CIC - - a Company limited by guarantee with charitable objectives.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
96 1 17

Hi @kmpoaquests 

Try checking with this:

https://cleantalk.org/spambots-check

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
189 1 31

Maybe you could explain the set up more clearly if you want to help the other shop owners. All I can see is that "the bots choose the option for 'I am not 13 or older'"

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
96 1 17

Hi @kmpoaquests 

If you are selling downloadable educational products, as we try to do, one would hope that visitors and customers know enough English to be able to tell their age, right?

If you are selling anything else, the questions asked need to be relevant to the product and of interest to the particular customer group. 

BTW, Google Chrome translates web sites, so a keen customer can always understand what you are asking.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
96 1 17

@Smeelah 

#1 Do you have a question that's relevant to your store and product?

#2 I just said we used radio buttons and drop down answers - what more would you like to know?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
189 1 31

Look, I was just trying to be helpful about one specific issue because it seemed as though you might be on to something with your custom questions but you are going off in all different directions. I don't know what you are trying to accomplish here but I don't have any more time for it;)

1 Like
Highlighted
Pathfinder
96 1 17

@Smeelah 

?????????

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
28 0 16

Short update on my situation...

After asking firmly, twice, Shopify Support activated the reCaptcha on my account creation page. This is a copy of the message I received from Patrick at Support following my second request.

I am on your side. Your business is a priority, just like you are and I would not tire in exhausting all available resources in supporting you. I have provide the previous instructions that it is a more secure option of enabling reCaptcha on your pages. Since this would be integrated with your own email address, which would allow you to receive alerts if Google detects problems with your site, such as a misconfiguration or an increase in suspicious traffic. In addition to this, you will have access to additional analytics you can use for reporting purposes.

I’ve went ahead and activated the feature for the reCaptcha filter to be a requirement for all customer accounts created via the storefront. This is still a feature that is in beta and this can help mitigate the number of bots creating accounts. Again, this is still a beta feature and there are no guarantees that this would completely prevent this.

I have had no bot created accounts in 48 hours. I am using the free Minimal theme. If bot signups resume, I will revisit installing Google's reCaptcha or other, or I'll migrate my business elsewhere. Orange-20, thank you for your report on BigCommerce. 

I told Patrick, at this time of year we need to focus on sales and customer service, and these bot accounts are not only an irritation and time sucker-upper, but also threaten our ability to communicate with our real customers.

Best to you! 

2 Likes