Shopify Spam Customer Accounts with Real Email Addresses

Solved
Highlighted
Trailblazer
199 1 34

Hi @Alison_Hess 

That was my post. Shop Protector responded to mine and others' concerns and has since removed the tracking:)

Or at least I believe that you are referring to my post. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 4

@Smeelah Well that's good news that they removed the tracking code! Thanks for noting that :) If Shopify isn't able to get the captcha working, I will take another look at Shop Protector. Another paid app though, ugh. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
199 1 34

@Alison_Hess 

Yes, I'm not so happy about paying for an app for this issue but I at least wanted to clear the record:)

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

We are another store that has been having this issue.  After reading all the posts on this discussion, we did contact chat support.  They added the captcha to our customer account sign-up.  

The support said this was something new Shopify can do.  They then tried it out for us to make sure it was working.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this solves or at least somewhat helps the situation.

1 Like
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
400 18 385

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating these fake account signups can be and we’ve been actively investigating the issue.

We are testing a captcha on the storefront form that helps prevent spam customer accounts from being created.

If you would like to have this captcha added to your shop(s) contact support and request they apply the Customer Account Spam Captcha change.

For details on how to contact support click here.

Thanks all for your patience and understanding!

TyW | Community Manager @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 5
I think everyone would like this added to their page by default. I don't think anyone wants to deal with fake accounts and the possibility of having email from their site banned by yahoo, google, etc. Customers shouldn't have to individually seek out something that would benefit everyone.
5 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
27 0 35

@TyW 

Where is the button to press to say your comment was not helpful and did not solve anything?

After months of complaints and customers leaving Shopify over this serious product breaking issue, not even a single acknowledgement of your faults or an apology to your clients for your lack of care, support and fixes, literally 3 months after this issue was brought to your attention?

Makes leaving Shopify a no brainer!

4 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 3

Having the same issue for three months now. 20+ new fake accounts with gibberish usernames and real email address every day, ALTHOUGH having reCAPTCHA installed. So, obviously, this must be a larger issue through bots ignoring CAPTCHA through API access or something like that and in the Shopify backend infrastructure... 

This needs to be fixed ASAP and not with another Plug-in/Add-on but in the core. This can ruin the reputation for all of us.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
37 0 4
Since they installed reCaptcha I've not got ang fake accounts so maybe it can be it depends on the theme you are using?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 3

0 Likes