Shopify Spam Customer Accounts with Real Email Addresses

Tourist
13 0 1

Count me in!

I deleted 24 fake accounts in the last 24h!

0 Likes
1 0 0

a ton of these are showing up on our site recently too!

0 Likes
Tourist
11 0 7

FYI I have put in a request to Shopify to give shop owners the option to turn off the automatic Customer Account Welcome emails. This way at least our shops would not be seen as spammers,  while Shopify finds a fix for the bot Account Creation  problem

At the moment however they are saying that we, as shop owners,  can't control these auto emails - Interestingly though there is an option to disable the shipping notification emails , so if that can be done,  they should be able to allow us to disable the Customer Account Welcome emails if we want to.

They also said that 'everybody wants the auto notifications to go out'. Basically they would need more people asking for this feature before they might consider it.

So ...The more people that ask for the option to turn off/disable  Customer Welcome Emails , the more likely it might be that we can at least get some control over how our shop brands are perceived .  So I suggest  if you are being affected,  then put in  request to Shopify for the option to disable Customer Account Welcome emails until the fake accounts problem is fixed. Hopefully we will be heard

3 Likes
Tourist
3 0 2

This is happening to me as well, Shopify needs to fix this problem asap.

I am losing customers thanks to Shopify.

I DO NOT WANT TO BE BLOCKED BY MAILCHIMP.

This is not about adding an app to the system.

0 Likes
1 0 0

I hope so, I am too receiving fake accounts being set up and have also noticed that in the last two weeks our sales and website enquiries are going straight into our email spam folder by 123 reg. This is totally unacceptable and we should have the option of being able to turn these welcome emails off.

COME ON SHOPIFY!

@Jenni wrote:

FYI I have put in a request to Shopify to give shop owners the option to turn off the automatic Customer Account Welcome emails. This way at least our shops would not be seen as spammers,  while Shopify finds a fix for the bot Account Creation  problem

At the moment however they are saying that we, as shop owners,  can't control these auto emails - Interestingly though there is an option to disable the shipping notification emails , so if that can be done,  they should be able to allow us to disable the Customer Account Welcome emails if we want to.

They also said that 'everybody wants the auto notifications to go out'. Basically they would need more people asking for this feature before they might consider it.

So ...The more people that ask for the option to turn off/disable  Customer Welcome Emails , the more likely it might be that we can at least get some control over how our shop brands are perceived .  So I suggest  if you are being affected,  then put in  request to Shopify for the option to disable Customer Account Welcome emails until the fake accounts problem is fixed. Hopefully we will be heard

0 Likes
1 0 1

Because of this issue a Shopify IP has been "temporarily deferred" at Yahoo thanks to these spam messages being sent. I got a return email today, that I never sent that in part said this:

Remote-MTA: dns; mta5.am0.yahoodns.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 421 4.7.0 [TSS04] Messages from 35.203.35.135
temporarily deferred due to user complaints - 4.16.55.1; see
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN3434.html

If Shopify can't fix this, the issue will just snowball and soon Shopify emails will be blacklisted everywhere.  Hopefully Shopify can see how detrimental this would be to their business.  And ours.

1 Like
Tourist
5 0 2

I've been trying to guess what the motivation for the people doing this is. I was thinking maybe they are testing email accounts they had hacked into. But  maybe damaging Shopify or individual sites with the spam complaints is the goal. I'm glad to say fake accounts on my site have stopped, at least for now.

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 18

I'm sorry to say that i've just downloaded the Shop Protector app for my store as I am SICK TO DEATH of having to delete fake customer accounts several times a day! Not only do I have a lot more important things to do at this time of year than regularly clean my customer account list, but I'm also very concerned about the fact my store is sending out dozens and dozens of unsolicited spam emails to people each day, and the effct this will have on my brand and my online reputation.

Shopify - if you are bothering to monitor this thread - I am DISGUSTED that you are apparently ignoring this known security failing. I am DISGUSTED that apparently you expect your customers to pay for additional apps to cover what to me seems like just basic security functionality.  You haven't even been bothered to implement a temporary work around (disabling new customer account emails) while you solve the bigger issue.It shows to me how little you care about your paying customers.

Shopify, If this isn't fixed when my annual subscription comes to its end I will be looking to migrate to another online retail platform, and I suggest the many others experiencing this issue consider the same action where feasible.

4 Likes
Tourist
3 0 5
As have mine. PLANEPOOP.COM
0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 8

I am continuing my dialogue with Dan in Shopify support, and bringing what is being said in this thread to his attention. I have specifically mentioned the Yahoo warning message helpfully identified by HummingbirdHang.

2 Likes