Shopify Spam Customer Accounts with Real Email Addresses

Tourist
3 0 2

Has any one tried the app Shop Protector?

Shopify is saying this will stop the fake accounts.

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 18

Yes I downloaded it yesterday afternoon (after coming to the conclusion Shopify aren't going to do diddly squat about the fake accounts problem any time soon!).

Checked my customer account list this morning and no fake accounts. Checked the apps reporting and it seems like its blocked a couple of fake account sign-up attempts. So seems to be a solution to the problem - if you don't mind paying an extra $4.99 per month for something Shopify should have fixed years ago!

1 Like
Tourist
7 0 10

After cleaning out 9 bogus accounts I gave in and installed Shop Protector. I'll let you know how it works for me. BTW, it had a hard time with my Safari browser, so I had to use Firefox instead. I've contacted their customer support about that.

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 6
Yes. I tried Shop Protector and it worked. Not at first - I had to contact
their support but they found a hidden form that was not automatically
protected - and they protected it also. Their response was fast and
effective. Although I don't think we should be forced to buy an app for
this problem, I do recommend the Shop Protector.
1 Like
Excursionist
14 0 11

@gDiapers  - If it is API based, nothing we do on our side will fix this unless shopify requires valid credentials with the signup request.

@JRCoburn  - Do you know the location of the hidden form Shop Protector is referencing? If I can add a recaptcha to it, it might stop this issue.

Edit:

Forgot to include that my other shopify shops are now having the same issue.

One of my bounces the other day was as follows (I removed the domain and IP info)

<removed@removed.net>: delivery temporarily suspended: host

removed.removed.net[xx.xxx.xxx.xxx] refused to talk to me:

554-removed.removed.net 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected

due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure

is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.

@JulieShopify, this is what we are telling you, your servers will be spam listed.

Fine Art Landscapes - Sawusch Photography - USScenics.com
1 Like
Tourist
7 0 10

After deleting 8 spam accounts and getting rid of a ton of spam comments from those accounts on my site's blog, I installed Shop Protector yesterday. So far so good. I have't had any bogus accounts set up and I haven't any spam comments. It irks the hell out of me that I have to pay $60/year for something that Shopify should have as part of the base product, but I'm pleased with the results thus far.

2 Likes
Explorer
58 1 16

I'm getting the same SPAM accounts too, and each SPAM account is in turn posting about 50 comments a piece on my blog, so I've had to disable blog comments.  Contacted Shopify weeks ago and got the same type of boiler plate response everyone else is getting.  I downloaded an app to block IP's as I figured it might be coming out of China as I started getting a lot of Chinese traffic, but it's not.  All the IP's are based in the US, but I'm not having much luck blocking them one by one.  Something has happened on Shopify's end to cause this, I only started having these problems a couple weeks ago. Guess I'll try Shop Protector, clearly Shopify would rather get a kickback on app purchases than fix the problem.

1 Like
Excursionist
19 0 3

I've been getting 5 to 10 of these fake accounts daily, too! I'm checking twice a day to delete them. Shopify, I do not want to have to pay another $60/year for what we shouldn't even have to ask for. This is ridiculous. Thank goodness I only use my blog here for announcements and have comments disabled. 

1 Like
Explorer
58 1 16

My blog is a major part of my website, probably about 40% of my traffic comes because of it.  Honestly I don't really care about the SPAM customer accounts, I can easily delete those, but the 100's of SPAM comments a day are a pain to filter through.  After installing Shop Protector the SPAM accounts have stopped but I'm still getting the SPAM comments so I've reached out to them and see if those can be blocked as well, if not I'll dump the app and try to find my own manual fix.  I agree Shopify should fix this, because it wasn't happening prior to a month ago, so it's a result of something they did.  My experience is in 6 months to a year it will eventually get fixed, whether they knowingly do it or not...

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 6

Add me to the list. I started receiving bounceback bad email notices & looked to see what was up. And bam - my customer list is FULL of spam accounts. Ridiculous. 

1 Like