Shopify Store got redirected by a Malicious website.

NGS
2 0 1

And we thought shopify was SAFE.

We are currently facing an issue where our website gets redirected to an external webpage for new user. This webpage is usually the same website that seems like malware, and not a legitimate website.

Our store is www.netgearstore.in and www.netgearstore.sg

We have noticed this happening just a day ago, and have not made any theme edits or new app downloads in the past few months, so we're sure it's probably not related to a new dodgy app.

This redirect occurs for first-time visitors, likely linked to cookies, because if you refresh or re-visit our stores, the redirect doesn't occur. The redirect takes place again if you use incognito mode.

(Upon landing on the homepage, it will be redirected to gladiator.io. Sublinks do not seem to have this issue)

Would appreciate if any shopify expert or community member could help us resolve this. My understanding is that apps and app developers are vetted and checked for malicious code.

0 Likes
tim
Shopify Expert
2862 118 940

Saw it once and then it stopped, checked in incognito and on cell-connected phone. Did you do anything?

Seen similar problem once -- malicious code was in product description pulled from a different site.

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com!
My post solved your problem? Like it!
0 Likes
NGS
2 0 1

Hi Tim,

We have managed to find the source of the issue.

Apparently, some apps that we have installed previously are not fully removed from the backend code itself. Its a filter app by "Searchit", which have been removed from the app store not long back.

tim
Shopify Expert
2862 118 940

Oh cool.

Thanks for sharing!

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com!
My post solved your problem? Like it!
0 Likes