Shopify Suddenly Closed Stores For No Reason

Highlighted
1 0 1

Same happened to me... They don't even give me my domain name back, which I purchased through Shopify. Very frustrating...

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 1

With effort and sincerity, I sent them 1 more email the week after I lost the store. They simply replied: We cannot disclose information why we deleted the store. What the heck is that to hide? I hope everyone next time buying domain elsewhere (go daddy or others), don't buy from shopify (in case you use shopify). For me, that was the end of Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4

The problem is not Shopify, nor Stripe it's Wells-Fargo.  Shopify is just another e-commerce development and publishing platform that excepts credit card payment.  Shopify Payments is just a re-branded word for Stripe, a middleman (facilitator) that does the electronic transaction processing between you and the customer bank via the magic of the payment network . 

Stripe itself is backed by Wells Fargo (the actual acquirer), which dictates via a risk policy, which merchants it can deal with.  Wells-Fargo decisions are final and you can't argue with them, even if you are totally in the right. 

When Wells Fargo says shut you down, Shopify via Stripe has to, because if they don't Stripe would lose it acquirer status, probably forcing Stripe into bankruptcy.  It's not a shoot first and ask questions latter policy.  It's a shoot first and quickly bury the body policy, and it's not going to change.

It's a pain but if you are starting a new site or adding products to a site here is a policy to make sure your hard work is not lost.

1) If you decide to sell a new product line which is different category from what you have, start a new site to be on the safe side (adding pants to a site carrying slippers and socks is fine), adding bullet proof flack jackets is not.

2) spend the $10 or $20 for an app that backs up your entire Shopify site, so if anything goes wrong, you can recreate the site without the offending item quickly.

3) Get a backup external processor.  We worked with Chase Payment for a decade with no problems.  The great thing about Chase Paymentech is that they are both the facilitator and acquirer).  You don't save any money with this, but it means you can actually talk to the people that are causing the problem, and unlike Wells-Fargo, they actually try to help and resolve the issue..  If you drop-ship you will need to use an external payment processor.  Shopify payments does not allow you to drop ship.

If you are still being shutdown after all this, then it's not the products but you.  Shopify does have a problem with people setting up Shopify accounts with intent to defraud customers, and unfortunately a few innocent people do get caught in the sweep. which results in you are banned, and Shopify will not discuss the reasons for security purposes.   Which leads to my last recommendation

4) Don't wait until your entire site is finished or the trial is almost up to activate the account.  Most deactivation occur when you pay them.  Once you given them your credit card info, Shopify has all the info on you, to do a risk assessment.  Once you have played with Shopify for a few days, add some products and categories that represent what you sell, plus setup your payment processing, then pay your monthly fee, and publish your site, once you have the store policy complete.  Don't worry, if they shut you down, they will refund you.  In which case you need to find a different platform to develop your site on.  Just make sure you have saved copies of all your work.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1
My god I cant believe this has been happening for years and no clear explanation was provided. Im totally at lost. Im really broke now, this was my last resort and this was last my hope. I am suicidal right now..
0 Likes