Shopify Traffic Stats vs Google Analytics

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

My site is http://www.tulsabodyjewelry.com. I've been trying to get my Google Analytics to track conversions (and variable conversion values) and after using the Google tag assistant, it appears that I have two tracking codes enabled. I'm pretty new to this and might be totally off, but it looks to me like the following chuck of code is generating two trackers? 

<script type="text/javascript">
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga';);
var _gaUTrackerOptions = {'allowLinker': true};ga('create', 'UA-6875367-3', 'auto', _gaUTrackerOptions);try{(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga';);

ga('create', 'UA-6875367-3', 'auto');
ga('send', 'pageview');}catch(e){};ga('send', 'pageview');
(function(){
ga('require', 'linker');
function addListener(element, type, callback) {
if (element.addEventListener) {
element.addEventListener(type, callback);
}
else if (element.attachEvent) {
element.attachEvent('on' + type, callback);
}
}
function decorate(event) {
event = event || window.event;
var target = event.target || event.srcElement;
if (target && (target.action || target.href)) {
ga(function (tracker) {
var linkerParam = tracker.get('linkerParam');
document.cookie = '_shopify_ga=' + linkerParam + '; ' + 'path=/';
});
}
}
addListener(window, 'load', function(){
for (var i=0; i<document.forms.length; i++) {
if(document.forms[i].action && document.forms[i].action.indexOf('/cart') >= 0) {
addListener(document.forms[i], 'submit', decorate);
}
}
for (var i=0; i<document.links.length; i++) {
if(document.links[i].href && document.links[i].href.indexOf('/checkout') >= 0) {
addListener(document.links[i], 'click', decorate);
}
}
})
}());
</script>

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 2

Shopify will not help us in setting up correct Google Ads tracking codes. We are frustrated!

Affordable Diamond Rings
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

I am also encountering with the same issue as Brett and there is no any code like ga.js or dc.js in my theme.liquid file. I want to sort it out asap, please help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I did a MailChimp campaign with links to our shopify store and tracked its report against the Shopify report...  They matched up pretty much exactly unique clicks to visitors (off by 1)...  So if I had to venture a guess I'd say Shopify stats are pretty dead-on...  This is only one test, but seems pretty conslusive...  Makes me wonder about Google Analytics if you all say it is typically shows 3x the volume...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
209 1 102

Super old thread. They've improved the stats.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

is it any update ?

I facing a problem is GA page view and vistor count is much more than shopify.

e.g. GA having 3K,but Shopify just 1K

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi Ashley.

I also have this problem with Shopify stats broadly double GA.

It you're aware of generic things to look for, please let me know

thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Has there been any updates on this? New to Shopify and this issue is driving me crazy!
Google Analytics & Google AdWords show much higher traffic than my Shopify analytics.

For example today the number of sessions recorded by Shopify so far is 7, while Google Analytics/Adwords has recorded 14 - double!

Which is weird, because when I look at the data these are actually clicks on adverts which I am paying for, so the data is a record of people clicking the link to the site. Are half my paid clicks really people who are not making it to the webpage and quit before it loads?

But it gets stranger Shopify traffic stats show the source of the 7 it recorded: Direct traffic 3, Unknown traffic 2, Search traffic 1, Social traffic 1. Huh? This means of the 7 recorded (already less than half the clicks I have paid for on AdWords), at the very most 6 could be attributed to Google AdWords...which is almost certainly too high as we had good organic search traffic before paying for ads.

So in summary: Google AdWords records more than double the number of site visits than what Shopify says I am getting. This cannot be a tag issue as the Google data is based on ad clicks, so not sure what to do here..? Ideas welcome!

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

My website has a Global site tag (gtag.js), a Google Tag Manager tag and a Remarketing Tag. Will that result in duplicate results in GA? Or discrepancies between shopify and GA? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
16 0 1

Hello Guys, I have the same issue, and it started only a month ago.

I have like 5 times more treffic in GA than in Shopify Analytics, 

The big problem is that if I follow the number from my Ads , google and facebook, it should be arround the GA numbers, if I follow the Shopify numbers i'm paying the ads for nothing. 

With 300 Add clicks Shopify is showing me only 40-50 traffic. I'm very worried because I can't follow my ads spend properly.

What should I do or check? i'm using GA Universal.

Thanks,

Rares

0 Likes