Shopify and debit cards

Tourist
8 0 5

I have recently updated an expiring debit card for my shopify payments.

My new card that replaces the expiring card has the same number with just a new expiration date and of course a new cvv. The new card was accepted and everything seemed fine. The next day my store is now unavailable. It says "be back soon" and the store is currently unavailable.

My research indicates that Shopify sometimes has issues with debit cards for subscription payments. It's strange that I have not had a problem before since I have been using this payment method for 6 months without issue. TD bank affirms there should not be an issue as my card can be used for shopify payments.

I did not receive an email or message regarding the problem, the store was simply closed without warning and I cannot access my admin account. This is concerning to say the least. I don't know what is going on.

I did not know that debit cards can cause an issue. It's strange that it would be initially accepted. The most important thing is that I would at least like to be able to access my store and change to a credit card for payment as shopify recommends. 

Does anyone have experience with accessing their account in such a case? I'm fearing the risk management analysis email that seems to be common which simply states that the store is considered high risk and cannot be re-opened. I will lose all my work. I should note that this is not a new store. It has been making payments for 6 months. 

It's hard to understand why this happens without warning. It seems to be less than fair. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
694 36 98

Hey, @noelia99.

Completely understand how you feel these two issues would be connected, however, based on the information provided, there is a good chance that this is a mere coincidence rather than the two being correlated. That said, I am sorry to hear that you're facing this issue as I know it can be quite frustrating, and upsettings, especially when you've invested so much time into creating and maintaining your website. 

To provide some clarity, Shopify only supports payment for the monthly subscription fee via a valid credit card issued by a bank with a line of credit. This means that while debit cards with credit card capabilities may work, they aren't supported so should they fail we wouldn't be able to troubleshoot the issue. While they are unsupported, they wouldn't typically cause a store closure, only issues with paying an outstanding invoice. 

In reference to your store becoming unavailable, there could be a variety of reasons behind this which would be due to a store review. While I know this may not seem fair, we are actively reviewing stores to ensure they adhere to our Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy which are agreed upon when using our services. While I wouldn't be able to help with this directly, I can help with getting your issue escalated up to our Accounts team for further review so we can help provide further clarity into the issue. I've gone ahead and sent an email to the email listed on your Community account. If you could follow up there then I can provide further support on getting this sent up. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Tourist
8 0 5

Hi, thank you for your response but I have already escalated this issue to Business Operations / Risk Management. As to your response about a store review, you seem to indicate a store would be closed without warning if it was reviewed? There would be no explanation of the issue or chance to appeal? This seems quite drastic. 

Furthermore, I think my business model can be easily misunderstood since I'm not selling any products and I'm not using the payment processor. My store uses the Spreadr app that is listed in your app store. The app simply imports products from Amazon to my Shopify store with an affiliate link out to Amazon. I drive traffic to my store which converts to Amazon for affiliate commission. I have many stores using this model and have been doing this for about 1.5 years. I feel like a store review without understanding this key part of how my store works could be misleading or easily misinformed. My products simply come from Amazon via API and for the store in question the products categories are for the Home, Kitchen, Appliances etc... 

I have confirmed with the App maker for Spreadr that there should not be any issues using this system with Shopify as they fully comply with Shopify and Amazon TOS. I have confirmed many times in the past with Shopify that this app and affiliate system is not an issue and would not cause a problem with Shopify TOS or other.

I hope if this was the reason for my store being closed then I would be given an opportunity to make this case. I had an issue with a store a few months ago where Shopify wanted to see my amazon affiliate account/earnings information to confirm that this is how my store works. I can of course provide this information if given the opportunity. 

If the Spreadr app is somehow against the Shopify policy than I would question why it's in the app store. I pay for this app and pay to have the Amazon products synced with my store with the API. I have been doing this since August of 2017 and have built up many stores since then. It's a bit disconcerting if there is a misunderstanding like this that causes my store to be closed. I have a huge investment to set up this type of store and get it going in a profitable manner.

Since I am a part of the Amazon Affiliate program, I have rights to use the content on Amazon for products in my store such as photos, prices, description as long as it comes from the API and is updated every 24hrs. The API sync is managed by the Spreadr App in the App Store. Any vendors or products listed in my store are also a part of this Amazon agreement and have agreed to have there products promoted by affiliates such as myself (whether they are aware of this or not). Occasionally but very rarely I have complaints from vendors that I have there products on my store but they misunderstand that I am part of the Affiliate program and have this right. In any event, if I am contacted directly by a vendor to have their products removed I always comply because I do not want to go against their wishes. This is rare but does happen. I am effectively promoting their products free to them.

Since you mentioned that my debit card would not cause a store closure, then this is my second theory which I hope will be considered. I have actually gone through this a 2-3 three times over the past year with Shopify - having to explain how my store works and that I'm not selling these products but legally promoting them through the Amazon Affiliate program. 

I have already escalated with them today but I did not have the opportunity to explain the above. I was actually pretty sure it was because of my debit card after speaking with the shopify guru. Also, there are many accounts on this form of people adding their payment information and having their store closed so this is why I was leaning towards this explanation.

Thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
694 36 98

Hi, there. 

I hear what you're saying, however, I'm afraid that I can't provide further insight on the specific reason as to why as I'm not apart of the team that handles these cases. Every store on Shopify is subject to ongoing reviews to ensure that it's adhering to our policies. Should any flags be raised, then there is a chance that a store will be closed without notice, however, these cases can be escalated to our Business Operations team for further review. 

Based on the information you've provided, you already have a ticket escalated up to our Business Operations team. I can't speak about account specifics in a public forum, however, I can assure you that your ticket will be actioned within 24-72 business hours. While our teams try to get updates sent out as quickly as possible, there are times your ticket may see a delay which is why we place this general timeframe surronding these escalations. Nevertheless, as soon as our teams have an update for you, one will be provided to you via email. 

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 5

Like I have mentioned previously, I updated the payment method for my site that was six months old and it was suddenly closed. I was not aware that visa debit cards cause a problem with shopify. I have used my visa debit card for various sites for almost two years with shopify monthly payments.

Why would I not be able to update to a credit card for payment?

This is the response from shopify about my store being closed:

Regrettably, once an account has been declined the decision is final. Per Shopify's Terms Of Service | Section 4, it states that: "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time".

What kind of response is this? I have no way to know what the problem is and no chance to correct the issue? I have invested $1000 in this site in the past 6 months. I have purchased a theme, domain, invested in content, set up ad accounts through google and facebook and purchased ads for my site. Now I cannot access any of MY content. WTF?

To add to an already heightened level of frustration and anxiety, I work and manage other shopify stores and would really like to know what the issue is so I can be sure I'm not going to have other store closures. 

PSA to anyone with a shopify store. Note the above from Section 4 - Shopify can close your store for any reason and you will not receive an explanation and you will not get your content back. You will also not be refunded for your expenses. Remember to backup your store content. Also, don't purchase your theme and domain through shopify. If your store is closed, you will lose your theme and domain. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
694 36 98

I can't say for certain whether this was caused by updating your credit card, or whether it was from another aspect of your store. I do understand that you're looking for a more detailed reason behind the closure of your store, however, regretfully, this isn't something that I or our Risk team are able to provide to ensure the security of our review process.

I can only imagine how frustrating this situation can be, especially as a large amount of time and money has been invested in creating your business and while I wish I had a better answer to provide, I'm afraid my hands are tied and would require that you reach back out to the ticket you have with our Risk team. Only our Risk team is able to look further into the account, so should a refund request be possible, or if they are able to share any other details, then they would be the team that'd be able to help with this.

0 Likes
3 0 0

Please, if stores go into a review process and get shutdown without notice, this is a serious problem and Shopify at least needs to notify us that they are shutting the store down and provide some kind of explanation. Why wouldn't we be notified of this in advance or at least at the time of the review? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
694 36 98

@keri2000 

I hear what you're saying; however; it is up to the business owner to ensure their store does not go against the Terms of Service that is agreed upon when signing up. Every store is subject to ongoing reviews, and in some cases, we are not able to provide a written explanation as to why the store was closed as this would put our review process at risk. If it is possible, our teams do attempt to provide advanced notice; however; this heavily relies on the situation and whether the case allows for advanced notice to be provided. 

0 Likes