Shopify and (virtual) Multipack support

Highlighted
6 0 0

I am wondering how we can tackle MULTIPACKS in Shopify. If not tackled we cannot move to shopify. I would really appreciate some expert advise or discussion. We have gone deep into the roots of many ecom solutions to understand if this use case is supported.

• Does Shopify support the below by default?
  • Is there an app that does exactly this?
  • Does it also work for products with size variants, with different stock locations?
  • If there is no app, can this be built?

To start, what are multipacks (by our definition)

• Read this https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324488?hl=en
  • Multipacks are bundles of the same original product with fixed pack multiplier qty attributes
    So a multipack has all the same data as the original product, only it has a pack multiplier attribute describing how many items the order picker should pick the underlying original products. In the case of a 6 pack, they pick 6 times the original product. The multipack has a "stock link" to the original underlying product stock.
  • Requirement: Multipacks have their own SKU and ean/barcode (so they can be exported to Google and Marketplaces requiring 1 unique ean per product)
  • Requirement: Multipacks stock/salable qty is not editable it is based on the original product stock = INT([original product stock]/[multiplier value]). On sale or credit memo the qty of the original product is updated with qty * pack_multiplier. If a 6 pack product is sold then the qty of the original product is decreased with 1*6.
  • Important information: we also use locations in Shopify (multi warehouse)

EXAMPLE 2.png

EXAMPLE 1.png

Said otherwise, we have

• Original products that come in sizes (dress shirt in variants SIZE)
  • Every SIZE item has 1 original sku and ean/barcode
  • Every SIZE item has (real) stock in various locations (multi warehouse)

Now we present these same products in virtual packs (packs that we create during picking)

• We create a new product called, say a 6-pack, that come in sizes (dress shirt in variants SIZE)
  • Same here, every SIZE item has 1 original sku and ean/barcode (for google shopping and other marketplaces)
  • The product has a pack multiplier attribute (describing the multiple of the original item)
  • The product has a "stock link" to the original item
  • Every SIZE item has (virtual) stock in various locations (multi warehouse) based on the original stock location
    Explained otherwise: we cannot edit this stock value because it is based on the original product using formula stock = INT([original sku qty]/[pack multiplier])

How would we work with these products?

• Every product the original and the say 6-pack and 12-pack all have their own product page with unique titles and SKU's and prices etc. A customer can buy either of the 3.
  • Every product can be exported to Google Shopping or other marketplaces just like any other product. So the original and the say 6-pack and 12-pack are exported as 3 line items, all with unique SKU/ean
  • The original product has stock that we can update or edit. The 6-pack and 12-pack stock cannot be edited, it depends directly on the stock of the original product.
  • During order picking we see we sold a 6 pack. Then we pick 6 of the original product. If we sold the original (1 pack) product then we pick 1. If we process a return or credit memo an return a 6 pack, then the original product qty is incremented with 6.

How can this be done in Shopify?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
251 16 37

Hi, @snh_nl

Rae from Shopify here. Thanks for reaching out with your question!

It sounds like you're looking for an app that can bundle the same products to be purchased in multiple quantities, but still deduct these sales from the inventory of the original product. There are a few apps in the Shopify App Store that can do this - I have outlined more information on them below: 

Bold Bundles is a great option to consider. This app uses Shopify's inventory management system to sell bundles without the need to create new variants for the combination of bundled products. With that said, are you currently tracking your inventory through Shopify, or are you using an external inventory system?

Bundles is another option that sounds like it will suit your needs. This app has a feature to create multipacks of the same item, while still ensuring that the inventory levels of the original item are correct when these multipacks are sold. It also supports bundling variants, which I understand is important for your business. 

However, I know you mentioned that you require each bundle to have their own SKU, and that you're using Locations, so I recommend reaching out to the app developers of each of these apps directly to discuss how these set ups work within their respective apps. These developers fully support their own apps, so they will be able to provide more information and advice about this. 

Please let me know if I can assist further, or if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Rae | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes
Explorer
65 0 22

@snh_nl Hey there, Trunk can also help you out with your multi-pack requirements!

• Every product the original and the say 6-pack and 12-pack all have their own product page with unique titles and SKU's and prices etc. A customer can buy either of the 3.

Yep!

• Every product can be exported to Google Shopping or other marketplaces just like any other product. So the original and the say 6-pack and 12-pack are exported as 3 line items, all with unique SKU/ean

You won't be able to export it from Trunk but you'll be able to do it from within Shopify. Trunk works in the background

• The original product has stock that we can update or edit. The 6-pack and 12-pack stock cannot be edited, it depends directly on the stock of the original product.

Yep! However, you can also edit the stock of the 6-pack and 12-pack and the original product will also automatically adjust

• During order picking we see we sold a 6 pack. Then we pick 6 of the original product. If we sold the original (1 pack) product then we pick 1. If we process a return or credit memo an return a 6 pack, then the original product qty is incremented with 6.

Yep!

You can read more about Trunk bundles/kitting feature and see screenshots here: https://help.trunkinventory.com/articles/2217275-creating-smart-bundles-and-kits

or our website for more info: https://trunkinventory.com

Please let me know if you have any questions/concerns!

⚡Sync inventory + bundles/kitting in real-time between Shopify, Amazon, eBay, Etsy, Faire, Squarespace, Square with Trunk @ trunkinventory.com
0 Likes