Shopify app: active checkout but no active cart

Highlighted
4 0 0
Twice in the past week, looking at the live view of my shop in the Shopify app, I will see an active checkout but no active cart. The checkout is never completed and does not show as an abandoned cart either. Is this a glitch or how can someone be checking out with no active cart? It also doesn’t show as an abandoned cart.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
242 59 122

Hi @Cnitts,

Welcome to the Shopify Community!

Abandoned carts only show up when the customer has entered their contact information. If a customer leaves before entering their contact information, no abandoned cart will be created.

Regarding the Customer behavior on your store area, this indicates the number of visitors to your online store in the last 10 minutes that have added items to their cart, reached the checkout, or made purchases.

• Active carts: In the last 10 minutes, the number of visitors who have added one or more items to their shopping carts. This number is usually smaller than the number of visitors because some visitors view products without adding any items to their cart.

• Checking out: In the last 10 minutes, the number of visitors who have added one or more items to their shopping carts, proceeded to the checkout, and submitted their contact information, such as their name, address, and so on. This number is usually smaller than the "Active carts" number because some visitors add items to their cart but don't go to the checkout or don't submit their contact information.

• Completed: In the last 10 minutes, the number of visitors who have added one or more items to their shopping carts, proceeded to the checkout, and then actually purchased the items. This number is usually smaller than the "Checking out" number because some visitors leave the checkout without purchasing anything.

Let me know if this answers your question or if you need further help!

Brian | Shopify Partner | Ecommerce Consultant
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution  
 - Need further assistance? Visit www.BrianAtWork.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
Hi Brian,

When I am seeing someone in checkout, there is no active cart present. How is that possible? How can someone be in the checkout without an active cart? Usually when I see a sale happen, there is an active cart, then checking out and then competed. I keep seeing checking out but no active cart.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
242 59 122

@Cnitts Normally the visitor will appear in the "active cart" area first, then when they click "Checkout", they'll disappear from "active cart" and re-appear in the "checking out" area. However, maybe if a visitor clicks the "Buy now" button, they'll bypass the "active cart" area and appear directly in the "checking out" area. This would explain the behavior that you're seeing.

Brian | Shopify Partner | Ecommerce Consultant
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution  
 - Need further assistance? Visit www.BrianAtWork.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

I have a situation where the checkout is active and there has been no one in the store within the past ten minutes.  It just came up.  ???

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Heyy, 

I saw that you’re a shopify partner and thought that you might be able to answer a question that I have. I promoted my page today and I had a lot of visitors in the shop. I occasionally was seeing in Live view people checking it out, it was definitely more than 5 times that this happened, they will be checking out and then suddenly it disappears and there is also no abandoned cart in the abandoned orders section. I’m starting to get paranoid and think that something might be wrong and that’s why people don’t complete their orders. Some friends that bought something said everything worked fine but then one friend told me that she tried to buy something and at checkout she was redirected to Aliexpress. Can that be the reason why I don’t have any sales but many “checking out” ??

0 Likes