Shopify claims my e-mail has "already been taken". I then try to log in with it; says the opposite.

fmlucas
Tourist
4 0 4

I am trying to change the e-mail address associated to my account in the General Settings page. When I type the other address I want to associate to and click on "Change email" I get a message saying that "This email has already been taken", stopping me from doing the change. That was surprising as it is an address I just recently created. Maybe I created an alternative Shopify account with it and forgot it? I test that. I log out and then try to log in again with said e-mail address. Surprise: "That e-mail address isn't associated to any account" and can't log in. So what is it, already taken or doesn't exist?
As of now I am unable to do the change.

Replies 4 (4)

Ted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1255 115 137

Hi @fmlucas,

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us and for letting us know. 

That's quite strange! Even if you had another account with Shopify, you can still apply the same email address to a different store so that error shouldn't be appearing. Could you confirm the device and browser that you're using? If you use a different browser (such as Chrome) or a different device (such as a desktop, tablet or phone), are you able to replicate the error? 

If you are unable to sign into the account, can you please try and recover your account using this link and let me know if you can log back in? 

Let me know how this goes and if there is anything else I can help you with, I'm happy to help!

Thanks a mill,

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

fmlucas
Tourist
4 0 4

Hi Ted,

Thank you for replying.
Strange indeed but here a positive if funny twist: the next day I just retried, nothing different in my action and used same address, and it worked.

I now managed to successfully change the address as intended. No idea what happened but meanwhile I learned I am/was not the only one facing the exact same issue, so I'd advise the company check this out, see where the issue may be coming from.

One thing that perhaps influenced that issue for my account, in my personal case: I had created my account with emailexample1@gmail.com and now wanted to elminate that change it to emailexample2@gmail.com. However I had just set a Google identification log in option for Shopify using emailexample2@gmail.com prior to try to eliminating emailexample1@gmail.com. When I saw the issue warning I just deleted the Google account log in option but the issue continued to block my email change even after that. The next day I just tried again and sucessfully managed to set BOTH my Shopify account email to emailexample2 as well as my Google log in option, and that is that.

Jon_Nautilus
Visitor
2 0 0

Same problem here and the error still occurs on different browsers - tried on Chrome/Opera/Edge.

Jon_Nautilus
Visitor
2 0 0

I just tried it with a gmail email address to test and it sent the verification email, nut I got the following error message when I clicked verify...

Email address update failed

Your request to change email failed. It's possible the new email is associated with another Shopify account. You can still use your old email jon@xxxx.co.uk to log in to your account.