Shopify discount not calculating properly

Tourist
4 0 1

I was testing creating a manual order from the admin section and noticed that if I applied a discount it didn't calculate the totals properly.

eg. A 20% discount from an order of £24.99 is £5.00, which shoud bring the total to £19.99

However, the way shopify calcuate this discount is £4.99 (they round £4.998 down, rather than up). This is a basic math error.

I raised this with shopify support but stil haven't received a proper answer. I was advised though that many shopify merchants have/would complain due to the customer getting the 1p, not them!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
85 0 17

Hi Ben,

As of a recent(ish) update all future discounts will have the 3rd decimal place knocked off. This means that 4.998 would have rounded to an even 5.0 in the past but now will have the third decimal knocked off to make it 4.99. 

Hope this clears things up!

- Calen T 

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Calen,

Why was this done, the update now calculates incorrectly?

Ben

Tourist
8 0 1

Agreed, seems like a strange thing to do as chopping the figure to 2 decimal places and then rounding is not standard accounting practice.

0 Likes
1 0 0

This is very problematic.  Especially when integrating with all other order management and ERP systems.  Orders fail to interface through standard API's as they perform standard math calculations and round to the nearest decimal - Which is 2 when discounting sell-able products.  I've never seen an application truncate a currency value like this before.....

0 Likes
1 0 0

Clearly Shopify has the ability to round, as they are able to round appropriately with regards to Taxes. But they don't round discounts? I agree with the others. This is very problematic to not have the functionality or flexibility considering many companies integrate into various ERPs. Is there going to be a solution for this?

0 Likes

Hey @Calen_T 

Is the discount still working the same way? When you say knock off, you mean round down to 2 decimal places?

SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview
0 Likes