Shopify forums

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Does one need to have a Shopify store to participate in forum discussions because I have noticed a few ambulance chasers critiquing Shopify stores simply to offer and sell them SEO services, case in point being feedback I received from

govolt at

Since ‎01-21-2020
As follows:

Hey,

I think you have a really good concept for a Shopify store, all leather items is interesting.

My main issue with your website is that it looks too amateur and drop-ship-y. Whether you're drop shipping or not, you need to make your website similar to big brands such as Forever21 or Target in that, people go to the page and it looks legitimate and not like a scam site.

If you make your theme and layout more professional and really PUSH your social media marketing, you can capitalize on this leather style.

Let me know if you're interested in more advice or information since I work in Digital Marketing and would be glad to help!

And then again

Hello,

Sorry to say this but it's clear you know nothing about SEO. Domain and Page Authority are actually subjective rankings used by a few software providers and not considered by Search Engines such as Google in their actual ranking process/algorithm.

You can learn more about this here; https://searchengineland.com/moz-upgrades-controversial-domain-authority-metric-311609

Also, my page is just one landing page. It's difficult to raise the DA or PA for a single page website. PA takes into account the backend of the entire domain too so, if you're low on DA, you're low on PA as well by default. You can't have a high PA on one page and a low PA on another for the same website. So it's a very weird ranking system. If you optimize most of your website, individual pages won't go higher than the DA average.

It's good to actually consult a professional, because SEO is a difficult topic and changes constantly. I'm glad that I got my certifications from Hubspot and Google for SEO and advertising renewed in January so I'm all up to date. :)

Best, and let me know if you have any questions!

I consider this a marketing ploy rather than constructive feedback

•  
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
280 27 42

Hi, @platinum!

Sophia here from Shopify. I appreciate you expressing your concern here! The Shopify Community is not just for those with stores, but also for Partners and Experts. You'll see a mix of merchants and developers participating in the forums, along with Shopify staff like myself. If you're concerned that a post doesn't meet the Community Guidelines, it might be something our team can remove. In this particular case—although you didn't find the feedback helpful—Community members are allowed to share relevant external resources or recommend apps if they feel it could enhance your business.

If you have any questions about how to implement some of the feedback mentioned (like store design, social media marketing methods, or search engine optimization), feel free to post follow-up questions in a reply to the message. If you would prefer not to continue the conversation there, you could create new posts for more information on those topics instead. I'm always happy to help if you have any questions!

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

I CALL HORSE HOCKEY

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
42 0 13

Like Platinum, I wish Shopify would do more to protect its paying customers - the shop owners - from spammers. It seems to me that using the forums to cold-solicit for their own products could reasonably be considered a reportable abuse. It certainly doesn't seem like ethical conduct, and Shopify ought to demand a high standard of ethics (which would preclude using the Community Forums for self-promotion) from all its forum participants.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
280 27 42

@Janet_Story wrote:

Like Platinum, I wish Shopify would do more to protect its paying customers - the shop owners - from spammers. It seems to me that using the forums to cold-solicit for their own products could reasonably be considered a reportable abuse. It certainly doesn't seem like ethical conduct, and Shopify ought to demand a high standard of ethics (which would preclude using the Community Forums for self-promotion) from all its forum participants.

Thank you for sharing your concern, @Janet_Story. The Shopify Community forums are moderated by Shopify staff, so you can rest assured that any posts that do not meet the Community Guidelines will be handled appropriately. If you have come across any posts that are purely advertising and provide no additional value, please let me know so that I can review them with my team. Thank you!

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 5

just report the post as spam.

i got a few of them on my Store Review post.

reported them as spam and they were deleted.

Ben Moore
0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
42 0 13

I don't think simply removing a spam post via moderation is an effective means of dealing with spammers. Self-promotion, even from "Partners" and "Experts," should be punished by a posting ban. It doesn't have to be permanent except in the case of repeat offenders, or if a hyperlink in the offending post leads to a malicious website, (as a lot of spam does. Your team might want to consider adding something like "links to malicious site" to the reporting options. In addition (though this is only tangential to OP's problem), Shopify needs to generally harden itself against information-harvesters and step up its array of FREE tools so that its paying customers -- the shop owners -- can protect ourselves from spammers who abuse our contact methods without resorting to expensive monthly subscriptions, and preferably without creating friction points for our bona-fide customers.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
280 27 42

@Janet_Story wrote:

I don't think simply removing a spam post via moderation is an effective means of dealing with spammers. Self-promotion, even from "Partners" and "Experts," should be punished by a posting ban. It doesn't have to be permanent except in the case of repeat offenders, or if a hyperlink in the offending post leads to a malicious website, (as a lot of spam does. Your team might want to consider adding something like "links to malicious site" to the reporting options. In addition (though this is only tangential to OP's problem), Shopify needs to generally harden itself against information-harvesters and step up its array of FREE tools so that its paying customers -- the shop owners -- can protect ourselves from spammers who abuse our contact methods without resorting to expensive monthly subscriptions, and preferably without creating friction points for our bona-fide customers.

Thank you for the additional feedback, @Janet_Story. The Community Guidelines do include conditions for user accounts being suspended, including posting offensive or harmful material. When you select 'Report Inappropriate Content' on any post, you'll see a text box where you can type in as much detail as you'd like to explain why you're reporting a message:

17-03-iqb3k-q4obv

If you are receiving spam messages through your online store's contact form, I encourage you to post a separate topic in the Shopify Community forums or contact our support team. Merchant security is extremely important to Shopify, so we are always looking to improve our products to better protect store owners. Installing reCaptcha on any pages that spam is coming in from is a free solution. This is a tool developed by Google, and you can learn more about it here.

0 Likes