Shopify incorrectly flagging my purchases as fraudulent

tacowaffle
Tourist
4 0 1

Suddenly in the last week, (3) merchants whom I placed orders with through Shopify have all said my purchase was flagged as fraudulent. I have resolved the matter with (2) merchants but the third is holding my money and purchased product for an indeterminate amount of time despite providing proof of ID.

In my 10+ years of online purchases, I can only recall one instance in which I returned an online order. I have no recollection of ever issuing a charge back.

What recourse do I have to ensure Shopify ceases these false allegations?

0 Likes
tacowaffle
Tourist
4 0 1

Shopify's chat guy Rob made it abundantly clear that Shopify doesn't care that it's fraud analytics spits out erroneously results from time to time.  There is no recourse for individuals such as myself to suddenly find themselves in this predicament. They can't be bothered to look into it let alone improve the system for their paying merchants.

My only option, outside of applying pressure through the legal system just to have Shopify look into it, is to take on the extra burden of proving my identity and legitimacy on a merchant-by-merchant basis with every order made through the Shopify checkout system. Sorry, but I'm uncomfortable emailing photos of my ID every time I want to make a purchase outside Amazon or Ebay.

Merchants, I question how many sales you've missed out due to false alerts which Shopify doesn't care about reviewing. You pay and rely on them to be accurate, yet they're utterly disinterested in reviewing scenarios where they may be able to improve their analytics to ensure you don't miss sales while not getting scammed. 

At the very least, Shopify should provide merchants with the ability to alert Shopify when an order was erroneously flagged as "fraudulent" by their system so that Shopify's machine learning algorithm can be improved by the supplemental feedback from the merchants.

0 Likes