Shopify needs to add reCAPTCHA to blog comment form

darlingaxe
2 0 0

No, we shouldn't need to pay for an app for this. ReCAPTCHA exists for other parts of the website. PLEASE put this on blogs ASAP. We're all sick of waiting. The alternative is deleting hundreds of spam comments each week, or having no comments at all.

This is stupid and should be a simple fix. So please fix it!

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1017 93 240

Hi, @darlingaxe!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

I can definitely appreciate how having reCAPTCHA can help curb spam comments. Shopify actually has a built-in reCAPTCHA feature, which is automatically enabled on all stores. You can find this setting in Online store > Preferences

We actually have some help documentation on using reCAPTCHA on contact and comment forms. There, you'll learn that when this feature is enabled, customers who make multiple comments, or enter comments from an email addresses that Google considers is suspicious, are asked to enter a CAPTCHA to make sure that they're legitimate users.

Unless a customer is making multiple comments or commenting from a suspicious email address, they won't be prompted to enter a CAPTCHA. However, our developers are working on implementing reCAPTCHA on all blog comments. This should be available in the near future.

While Shopify automatically checks all blog comments for signs of spam and flags them, you could also choose to enable comment moderation. This means you'll need to review comments before they are published. You can enable this feature in Online store > Blog posts > Manage blogs. From there, you can select the blog you wish to edit and you'll see a Comments section. Here's what that should look like: 

19-11-tg8no-7wy0a

I understand that you are wanting to avoid paid apps, but if you are noticing an increasing level of spam comments, then it might be worth considering installing one. Some popular and affordable apps include reCAPTCHA Spambuster and Sunny - Manage Blog Comments

This may also be something you can implement using custom code. For that, I'd recommend getting in touch with a Shopify Expert

I hope this helps, but I'm curious to hear if anyone else in the Shopify Community has any insight. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
darlingaxe
2 0 0

Thanks for your reply, Julie

1. Yes, I have the reCAPTCHA enabled, but it doesn't apply to blog posts.

2. Identifying spammers by their email address is kinda weak. I just posted to my blog with the email test@test.com. Why not screen for words like "v-i-a-g-r-a" which appear in almost all posts? Or for particular URLS shared over and over again? I flag all these messages as spam and it doesn't "train" the Shopify filters, or it hasn't over the last couple years.

[NOTE: I had to add dashes to the above spam term because YOUR forum filters are able to block it. How interesting.]

3. ReCAPTCHA on all blog comments—yes, this is a solution many of us are hoping for. I wonder why it's taking so long? Judging by other community posts, this has been a complaint for some time.

4. Yes, my blog comments are moderated. The only reasonable options are (1) moderated or (2) no comments at all, otherwise my site would quickly turn into an illicit pharamceutical posting board.

4. I will pay for coding help and apps, and I do, but I absolutely will not pay extra for something that should be functional "out of the box." This is a VERY simple feature that should be basic with my Shopify account. 

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1017 93 240

Thanks for following up.

I really appreciate the points you made and I can definitely understand why you are wanting to avoid paying for coding help or third-party apps in this situation. 

That being said, I'd love to offer some clarity on the process our developers take when implementing new features. We have a system in place for submitting feature requests from merchants. Generally, our developers will begin exploring new features based on the number of requests we receive. While I can see that this is something our developers are working on, I do not have a timeline on when this feature will be released.

In the meantime, I'm glad to hear that you already have reCAPTCHA enabled and are monitoring blog comments. Although I understand that this doesn't completely prevent spam comments, this should help you for the time being. 

Thanks again for sharing your feedback. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out again!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes