This is Finley from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for reaching out about this!
To make sure I understand correctly, you've selected the Automatically send abandoned checkout emails option in your Abandoned checkout section in your Admin settings.
Despite this, you're still seeing that your Abandoned checkout emails are marked as "not sent" when you check on them under your Orders > Abandoned checkouts.
Do I have that right?
When a recovery email is not sent for an abandoned checkout
Have you clicked on each abandoned checkout to see why these emails didn't send automatically?
There are circumstances when your customer won't receive an email. These include:
1) If a payment processing error occurred when the customer tried to complete their checkout.
2) If you allow customers to enter a phone number instead of an email address at checkout, and the customer chooses to enter a phone number.
3) If your customer creates more than one abandoned checkout in a row, they'll only receive one email.
4) If your customer creates an abandoned checkout and then successfully purchases from your store before the abandoned checkout email is sent.
5) If all the products in the customer's cart are free, and the customer doesn't visit the shipping page at the checkout or if the shipping fee is also free.
6) If your store doesn't ship to the customer's address (under your Shipping and Delivery settings).
7) If the products in the customer's cart are unavailable for purchase. For example, if there is no remaining inventory.
You may see that your abandoned checkouts match with one of the reasons above.
If not, please let me know! We can take a further look together to see what's happening there.
Did you know you can also look at your Abandoned checkouts emails report under the Marketing section of your Shopify Admin?
This report will let you know how many sessions and completed orders have come from the Abandoned checkout emails, which will help you see how effective your abandoned emails are.
If you'd like some inspiration from other abandoned checkout emails, have a look at our article here. It would be great to take away your favorite tips and apply these to your email.
I hope you're enjoying your day!