Shopify not showing orders via Paypal

gusbeau
Shopify Partner
14 0 6
Hello

We have had orders coming through normally today however we have two customers who have paid via PayPal and their orders are not in Shopify. Anyone know why this might be?
Replies 12 (12)

Ted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1255 115 137

Hi, @gusbeau!

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us. 

Normally if an order can't be seen in the Shopify admin but it can be seen in your payment gateway account; it means that the customer left the payment screen after they paid and did not wait for Shopify's order confirmation screen (the very end of the Shopify checkout process). For example, when they confirmed the payment on Paypal's website, they were not redirected back to the the "Thank you" page on Shopify's checkout. 

You have two options here if you can't see the order in your admin.

1. Refund the orders in full and let the customers know there was an error with the order and it had to be cancelled/refunded. You could then encourage them to purchase from your store again and even offer a small discount. 
  2. Contact the customer and ask if they received any order confirmation email from your store (other than Paypal's confirmation email). If not, you could just let them know that the order didn't come through fully and you could replicate the order with them using the Draft Order option in your admin as shown here. Keep in mind that you will need the order info, quantity, shipping address and phone number. After that information has been listed in the draft order, you could then mark it as paid manually since you've already received the payment and then continue with its fulfilment.

Please me know how this goes!

Many thanks,

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

kainjection
Visitor
2 0 1

I am also having this issue on my store.

I get a notification from paypal but no order shows up in my shopify orders. In addition to that Paypal doesnt even show the item that the customer ordred so I have to cancel and refund the transactions.

I just transferred my website from WIX and was hoping for a better experience than this, since it never happened with them.

Brooke_Wong
Tourist
4 0 2
You don't need to refund your customers if you see that the payment was
processed on Paypal. Simply create a draft order in Shopify. Manually add
the products ordered and enter the customer's information. Then mark the
order PAID. It should populate to your Shopify order as a regular order and
also populate to your shipping platform. You may however, need to manually
enter the tracking number into Paypal to clear it out of there.
kainjection
Visitor
2 0 1

The problem is that its not showing the item in the paypal transaction either, only an amount so I have no idea what they ordered.

drakedev
Shopify Partner
685 148 229

@kainjection wrote:

The problem is that its not showing the item in the paypal transaction either, only an amount so I have no idea what they ordered.

You can try to check the Abandoned Carts if you see a match with the email and/or cart order value

If my answer was helpful click Like to say thanks
If the problem is solved remember to click Accept Solution
Shopify/Shopify Plus custom development: You can hire me for simple and/or complex tasks.
Jordan_L
Trailblazer
218 1 110
Shopify addressing these issues in your admin homepage now

Action required - potential payment errors

Third-party payments placed on or after October 2 may be missing or displayed inaccurately in your Orders.

Network issues affecting some third-party payments

https://community.shopify.com/c/Notices/Network-issues-affecting-some-third-party-payments/m-p/91006...

Matias_Fernande
Shopify Partner
7 0 6

I'm having the same issue. It's sad because the customer won't receive their gift for Christmas day due to this error. This type of transaction should be atomic. If both don't go through, roll them back.

Brooke_Wong
Tourist
4 0 2

Shopify is having issues populating orders from Paypal. You should call for assistance. We had a customer complain that payment was made through Paypal and yet we could not find her order in Shopify. It was under Abandoned Checkout, but the payment was completed in Paypal. We had to create a draft order and mark it paid. Support said the issue started on Oct 3rd. We are now going through every abandoned cart since Oct 3 to check if any more payments were completed in Paypal but not populated to Shopify.

Jordan_L
Trailblazer
218 1 110

Thanks for the information Brooke.

We've run into the same issue and have traced it to starting Oct 1st at 4am ICT Oct 3rd (first abandoned cart was Oct 1st, but first attempted payment on that order was Oct 3rd)

We've had 11 orders which were paid in paypal, but left in Abandoned Cart in Shopify.

We have 3 stores and this is only happening on a single store. Granted that store has the majority of sales.

We've contacted Shopify and they've told us there is no issue and that it's our customers fault, which is not an appropriate answer.

We've talked with Paypal as well and they are blaming Shopify. 

I can understand some kind of race condition could allow this to happen rarely, but due to the large number of failed orders in the past 7 days, which have not happened in the past, something is wrong here and needs to be resovled.

To attempt to resolve this issue, we've disconnected Paypal as a payment option and re-enabled it. Perhaps it's a expired API token or something. I'll follow up if this has resolved the issue for us.

danielfedorov1
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

Our store is having the same issue, 4th person contacted us today. I search their name in the Shopify orders list and their name doesn't show up. However once I search on PayPal, I find their name and order. For some reason there is a problem with PayPal and Shopify linking or something. Hope someone can find a solution soon as we don't want to keep missing orders like this.

Regards

Daniel

Brooke_Wong
Tourist
4 0 2
Thank you so much for letting me know! I will go back to Oct 1st and check
our orders. Shopify is really horrible with their customer service and on
one of our sister stores they failed to import hundreds of orders, but they
will not accept accountability. It is always the fault of an outside app.
They're the kings of passing the buck.
ss444
Visitor
1 0 0

hey were you able to find a solution for this?